Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• total rewire?

Hello,

First post, this site is a great resource. I am thinking about buying an older home (1930's) the electrical seems to be in good working order. With a home this old, would a total rewire be something I should consider?

Thanks

with the amount of new appliances available AND what you may have on hand, you'll never have enough of outlets in your kitchen. furthermore any outlet within 6 feet of a sink needs gfci protection. homes in that era used to get along fine with a 30 or even 60 amp electric service. nowadays minimum is 100 amp! take the square footage of your property and multiply using 3 watts per square foot and divide by 240 to get a service size. the 3 watts per square foot is general lighting. dryer loads are about 3kw, a range about 5 kw.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did the calc and got my service size, which ended up being a 15. What are the units for service size?

Comment

well since the minimum is 100 - you won't get anyone to put in anything smaller. outlets in any room with unbroken walls is one outlet every twelve feet. kitchen has at least two small appliance branch circuits, dining room outlets on a dedicated 20 amp circuit so you can get by with a 20 circuit 100 amp panel. for a house rewire plan on about $5,000

Comment

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =