Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ultra high efficiency Heil propane furnace won't light

My 11 year old Heil ultra high efficiency furnace main burner won't ignite, It has a closed in pilot burner area so I can't see what is happening. The exhaust fan starts and I hear a " click" and the pilot glows orange thru the peep hole for several seconds but the main burner doesn't light. I can get at things if I take off the 6" x 12" tin plate. The pilot and end of the gas tube for the pilot is held on by 3 metal screws and the other end of the gas line to the pilot has a nut to hold it into the side of the gas valve unit. Should I pull this out and look it over? One fellow suggested I try and light the main burner with a match on a piece of clothes hanger wire thru the tiny peep hole but it didn't sound very safe. Plus You can't see harldy anything thru the peep hole. Any suggestions? Donaldb

good advice not to light the burner with a match. propane is heavier than nat gas and settles to ground level. any spark other than the igniter will cause a poof and may burn off your eyebrows. check the venturi for spider's nest or other obstruction. check the flame sense on the pilot

Comment

Burner won't light

OK, I'll remove the pilot and venturi unit if I have to, and check for spider webs. How do I check to see if the sensor is working? It does glow orange for 10-15 seconds. Donaldb

Comment

if the thing glows then it shouldn't be a problem. there's a built in time delay before the pilot or burner kicks in.

Comment

What do I do next?

It glows for 10-15 seconds but the main burner doesn't light. That is problem. I took the igniter loose and bent the aluminum pilot tube so I could get a look at it. It is like nothing I have ever seen before. I'll attach a picture of it. Should I bend one of the little rods to make it light easier? Or would that not help? Any ideas? Donaldb

Comment

Working...
          X
          =