Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Amp RV Service

Want to install 50 AMP 14-50R power outlet to exterior wall in garage. Distance from main panel (in garage) is 45 feet. Have purchased 6/3 wire with ground. My concern is the main panel neutral and ground bar are combined. According to my research and the wiring diagram on outlet, the ground and neutral MUST be located on separate bars. My question is, should I install a subpanel with the separate neutral and ground bars with receptacle wired in downstream? It seems to me this is no different than wiring receptacle directly to main panel with ground and neutral on common bar. Thanks for any help---Don

If you want to install a sub panel then the feeder must have isolated ground and neutral at the sub panel along with two driven ground rods. those ground rods terminate at the cabinet or equipment ground bar. IF this is an outlet then it is treated just like any other outlet. you need a weather proof cover if its exposed to the weather. not sure but I believe because you are at grade level, the feed needs to be a 50 amp 240 volt ground fault breaker. the receptacle you named is a straight blade type.

Comment

It is a weatherproof 50A receptacle installed on a far exterior wall of the garage, not a separate structure. So if I understand correctly, the receptacle box itself is not considered a "sub panel" and it's ground and neutral may be directly wired into main panel on the common bus. A sub panel is not required allowing the separation of ground and neutral bus ? Thanks again

Comment

yeah, when you wire the receptacle follow directions on the gfci breaker - I'm assuming this is what you are using. if just the two hots go to the breaker then the bare or green ground and white neutral go on the neutral bus in the main panel.
        The receptacle wiring the hots go to the outer two blades, the ground to the L shaped blade and the white to the blade opposite the L shaped blade.

Comment

No sub-panel is needed.
          The ground and neutral land on the SAME bar in the main panel. This IS normal.
          No GFI breaker is required, unless of course you want one. I would not.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =