Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo switch w 1 set wires

I want to replace a single pole switch with a combo switch.
    But there is only a black,white and ground coming into the box.

Is there a way for this to work?
    I suspect not as i've tried i think every scenario.

thanks

NO
    to accomplish this you need a neutral and there isn't any. the black-white combination is just a part of the switch loop.

Comment

i have the exact same problem. i want to replace a single pole switch with a combination single pole switch. i only have the two wires from the original single pole switch with no neutral. i can run a neutral, but i don't know where to put the wires on the switch. where would the two wires go that were apart of the original switch leg and where would the neutral go? i have the leviton 5224

Comment

where are you gonna grab the neutral from?

Comment

there is one in the junction box for the light i want to control. there is also an outlet about a foot away i can get one from
          Last edited by chowblower; 01-03-2010, 01:26 AM.

Comment

what you are gonna hafta do is run a three wire from the ceiling box to the wall switchbox. you just can't run one wire to accomplish what you desire. get back to me and I'll draw you a diagram.

Comment

thanks a diagram is exactly what i need. i want to add that the combination switch has two bronze screws on the left and two blk screws on the right. with the second switch i want to control an outlet.

Comment

leviton 5224

follow this diagram. wires, what they are are marked on diagram.
                you'll need two three wires from switch (box) one to ceiling box, one to remote outlet.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =