Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light won't shut off

My son and I replaced a ceiling fan/light fixture with a simple light fixture. I thought everything was fine but last night when I went to shut it off it wouldn't turn off. The old fixture as operated by two(two way) wall switches plus the pull strings on the fixture itself.

Cam

Can you tell me what colored wires are in the ceiling box? a photo would also be helpful.

Comment

Black, white and green are from the ceiling. Black,white and copper from the light. We have black to black, white to white and green to copper. Thats how the scematic showed it being hooked up.We're totally stumped. Thanks for any help.

Cam

Comment

Sounds ok - the original load comes off a three way light switch via the two wire. between the two switches is a three wire. the way that's wired is: black hot to odd colored screw, whites are spliced, red/black travelers to remote switch. Remote Switch: red/black travelers, load black to odd colored screw, whites spliced.

Comment

something else that came to mind is that the three way switch system is being used for "other" than the ceiling fixture, like for one half of a switched lighting outlet. the wires in the ceiling are always hot - not switched. that is evidenced by the fan/light you had there. Being, it was switched on and off with the pull strings. Now the new fixture that was put up has no switch either on the wall or on the fixture to turn it on - off with. that's why it stays on.

Comment

That's what I think as well, I often come across that situation with fan/lights, the original electrician thought it's easier to wire them that way (the switch is the pull chain)as opposed to dual switches on the wall, one for the fan and one fro the light. The OP is going to have to follow the wires and post back what they feed.
            Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
            Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =