Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring

no it ain't dangerous - everything's working you say. just put covers where they belong so someone don't get shocked.
    use your meter with the ohms times 1. go from one white wire to another white wire. continuity will give you a full scale reading if you are using an analog type meter or 0.00 with a digital readout.

Comment

Originally posted by jtfoxman View Post
      1 more question.

I have 4 wires total going into the box. 2 red, 2 black, 2 white and 2 grounds that I can't hook up because whoever did this before cut them. Will that matter if there is no ground?

This is how the old one was hooked up. Reds together, black from one switch to white from the other switch. The remaining black to the black on the fan and white to the white on the fan and the blue from the fan also to the remaining black. This just doesn't sound right. Is it?

This has worked fine and there has been no problems with it. The fan is just old and needs replacing.
      This is how one would wire a light (or fan) using 3way switches and running the three conductor cable from switch one to the light to switch two. Confusing, but perfectly acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by normel View Post
        This is how one would wire a light (or fan) using 3way switches and running the three conductor cable from switch one to the light to switch two. Confusing, but perfectly acceptable.

So what you're saying is that I can leave it the way it is, correct?

I'm conflicted now. HA-HA.
        Jtfoxman

Comment

I think what Norm's saying is that the configuration for a three way, feeding in one box and taking the load off the other is normal wiring practices. let's go with what I started and you should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by jtfoxman View Post
            My ceiling fan flickers when there is a bang on the floor in the upstairs right above it. I'm thinking possibly a loose connection? Right?

Secondly the 1 switch that controls it pops a little if not used for awhile when you go to switch it on. All the wiring is good behind it and the other switch that controls it and all good connections. Time for a new switch I say correct?
            1 switch that controls it... the OTHER switch that controls it... sounds like a 3way setup to me... I would leave it as is, maybe replacing the switches only.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the help both of you!
              Jtfoxman

Comment

Working...
              X
              =