Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sub panel help

Guys, I am wiring a sub panel in the garage but dont see a ground bus in the panel. I see the neutral bus but and not sure where the bare ground wires should go. I am using #6 wire. Two hot, one white (neutral) and one bare ground. I know where to hook these off of the main panel but not sure where the bare ground goes. I have two breakers in the sub panel. One wired for 110 with a 20 amp breaker and the other wired for 220 on a 30 amp breaker. Where do I attach the bare ground wires if I don't have a ground bus to attach it to.

I don't think I am supposed to hook the bare ground on the neutral bus, right? Thanks for your help. I will try to get pictures.

very easy - go to a big box store or an electrical supply house and ask for an AUXILLARY ground strip. They sell one that has about 12 openings - cost around three bucks. this installs in any free space inside the panelbox. the bare #6 goes here and all bare earth grounds.

Comment

Ok, I obviously need to remove the bare ground wire. The subpanel is not hooked to the main yet.

Am I right, there is not place for bare ground unless I am missing something

Question is in this lower photo, what are the two blocks with the pinkish looking screws? I am assuming they are to attach the neutral off the main leaving the bar for any additional neutral wires.

That bar is the one that is for the neutral, correct? I don't see where it is grounded to the panel housing.
      Last edited by delirious; 12-14-2009, 12:45 AM.

Comment

the two landings to the right part of the panel will accept a bolt in aux ground bar. the neutral strip is not bonded to the panel enclosure in a sub-panel configuration. the red and black large diameter terminates on your main lugs in the sub panel. the pinkish screws may be larger diameter terminations for the bus.

Comment

It also looks like you have double taps as well, you cannot use the breakers for multiple feeds. Code only permits one wire/breaker.
          like Hayzee says, the ground bar will simply screw onto the inside of the panel at a convenient location.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Your picture also shows that you have wired two separate circuits to each breaker. You should only protect one circuit with each breaker. You may need a larger sub-panel with more breakers to properly protect your wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Handi-Women LLC View Post
              Your picture also shows that you have wired two separate circuits to each breaker. You should only protect one circuit with each breaker. You may need a larger sub-panel with more breakers to properly protect your wiring.

Thank you everyone. I will be adding additional breakers today along with the grounding bar. I hope home depot carries them, otherwise I will need to find an electrical supply. I recenlt moved to the area and dont know of one. Much thanks!

Comment

from what I can see you have five spaces left for GE mini breakers or two full one inch spaces for a GE twin breaker

Comment

sniff....sniff...

(thanking myself....lol)
                  Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                  Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
                    sniff....sniff...

(thanking myself....lol)
                    Got all the material and I think I am good. Again, I appreciate the help.

img684.imageshack.us img684 6215 photo3ti.jpg put in the forward slash inbetween spaces. I wanted a follow up picture to help others
                    Last edited by delirious; 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM. Reason: image added

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =