Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching light to outlet

i just bought my first house and am slowing learning so please bear with me if this is a lame question. I have a paper lantern light that i would like to hang from my ceiling which has a typical three prong plug. The light that is there now is a standard ceiling light and is connected by wiring. I will need to convert the wiring to an outlet so i can use this particular lantern. Is this possible to convert wiring for lighting to an outlet[?]

Nicole,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new house!

The easiest thing would be to cut the plug off the cord and use the two wires to attach into the current electrical box in the ceiling. If you visit your local hardware or lighting store they can sell you a cover for the box that has a hole through it for the wire and a hook for the light to hang from.

If you ever want to convert back to a plug in then you would replace the cord.

If you want step-by-step please post back if you want to go with this idea.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Jim,

thank you so much for the suggestion. i assume you would connect the wires as you would any light; but i was just wondering if you need a ground wire? (all the lights i've installed have had a ground and two wires to connect)

Thanks!!

Comment

Nicole,

No, The wire that is on it now would just have the hot and neutral. So you would connect them only.

Jim

Comment

I would agree with Jimmer. Regarding the ground wire, if there is one there and connected, as long as the box is metal, you can attach it to the box using one of the screws in the box. If there is no screw, there are little green clips that you can buy that clip to the box and have a place to insert the ground wire. Hope that helped. :-)

Comment

Working...
          X
          =