Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling fan transformer buzzing

I have a 24 year old beautiful Quoizel 4 blade, 3 speed ceiling fan, 120V. Fan has worked great for years but recently the transformer started buzzing at the medium and slow speed fan settings. All fan speeds seem to operate normally; it just has an annoying buzz now on med and slow speeds. The number on the transformer is 570413. The company has since gone out of business. I pulled the fixture apart and nothing is loose inside and the transformer has nothing obviously wrong with it. It buzzes even when it's out of the fixture on those settings. I assume there is something wrong with it internally. Where can I find a replacement or are there any alternatives other than buying a new ceiling fan? Thanks for your help in advance.

the transformer is made up of iron punchings laminated together. between the punchings is a pitch insulation to lessen "eddy currents" or stray magnetic fields. once this insulation leaks out the laminations start to vibrate which is the hum or buzz you hear. you could try re-soaking the windings in liquid pitch to re-insulate them but i don't know where you'd find pitch.
    the other alternative would be to go to a motor shop and see what type of electronic "transformer" you could find.

Comment

HZ is right. I have fixed buzzing laminations using molten wax in some applications. Not sure if this is practicable for you.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =