Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on outlet replacement

I had a broken outlet. Months ago, I had a roof replaced and a picture fell off the wall and broke off where something was plugged in. The second plug still worked but obviously the outlet needed replacing since the one was broke off.

Today, I had someone replace the outlet. After he was done, that outlet worked but nothing else on the circuit did. Not long after the replaced circuit now doesn't work either. So nothing on that circuit is now working.

I know it is impossible to know for certain without looking at it, but I am worried something is seriously now wrong electrically. I did shut that curcuit off for fear something bad was happening.

I don't know if this is something simple or if I need to pay to have an electrician to come out. Does anyone have any toughts?

take off the coverplate and unscrew the outlet. the picture could have broken the outlet right off its yoke and disrupted the downstream circuit. only way is to look. include a photo of it if you can.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I will have to take the picture tomorrow (room is way to dark right now without power.

Just to be sure for tomorrow (sorry - I am a chic with no electrical experience!) I should:

-make sure circuit is turned off
      -unscrew face plate
      -unscrew the outlet
      -pull the outlet out
      -take pictures

The outlet actually worked until it was replaced today (the one plug did anyhow that wasn't visibly busted).

Thank you again for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Yes do exactly what you mentioned in your previous post and in that order.
        It sounds like the someone who replaced the damaged outlet either missed attaching a wire or inadvertently unattached one.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Hi there! Thanks so much for trying to help. I took some pics and attached - if you need more, I can take more.

There is a view from the left, a view from the right and a view from the top. To walk through what I am seeing:
          - Left side white wire connected to bottom screw
          - Right side black wire is connected to bottom screw
          - bottom, copper wires are connected at the bottom
          - the outlet has the following printed on it 15A-125V but it is upside down, I don't know if that matters/makes a difference

If you could let me know if this all looks right or not I would be VERY grateful. Thank you again for your time and kindness.

Comment

if it is a single pair of wires going to the outlet then it looks ok. white goes to the nickel screw, black goes to the brass screw and the bare goes to the green screw on the yoke. what are the remaining wires in the box going to? my next thoughts are that those wires are either the hot pair or another pair going downstream to the next outlet.

Comment

When that outlet was working so were the other outlets down the line, NOW that outlet only has one set of wires attached to it and nothing works down line. To me that says that those other wires 1 black and 1 white should be attached to the outlet.

The other wires still in the box do they have little caps on them or can you see the end of the wire ?
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =