Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splicing into 14/2 for new wall outlet

we are having an addition built and they just finished the drywall and noticed in one of the corners where the cat5 box and the satbox is there is no outlet=bummer....so i went into the attic and saw that some of the new lines they did string for an adjacent outlet at the next corner in the room are totally accessible...so i measured 16" up from the floor and marked a place for an "old work" box for an outlet. I plan to place a junction box on one of the joist. i will cut one of the 14/2 lines, strip an adequate amount of wire , and do the same to a length of 14/2 that i will feed through the wall to the box.....returning the j-box,i will pigtail the 3 black wires with a red nut and the same with the whites and ground the box too! provided i clamp/anchor the wire in and out of the box and at required distances along the new service does this sound about right?

vincent

vpenoso@comcast.net
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

That sounds about right. The only points to consider would be: (1) the line you split for splicing may end up short to get back into the junction box. Hopefully you can find enough slack to get past that. If not, add a second junction box and more wire. (2) Personal pref of mine, but I like 12/2w/G for all outlets. That 14/2 stuff just doesn't appeal to me. Check to see what the existing load is on that circuit. Although you're not adding much, the future can/could cause an 'issue'. By the way, I don't mean to imply to add a larger gage wire to a smaller gage. Maintain the gage. Have fun...

Comment

Working...
    X
    =