Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaker/outlet size

my house is rewired wdith 12 gage wire and 20 amp breakers. Yet the outlets are all 15 amp including the kitchen GFI's. I think the outlets and breakers should match the breaker size and that the 15 amp outlets are not protected unless the breaker size is 15 amp also.
    I want to replace the outlets and GFCI's with 20 amp size but was told that was not necessary. Code requires kitchen countertops have 20 amp CIRCUITS and I think the circuit is not 20 amp unless the outlet and GFCI is 20 amp also. AM I correct?

It's not likely that you'll load a particular outlet to 15 or 20 amps. Where as, several of those outlets could total 20 to trip the circuit breaker. The feature is if you do load an outlet to trip, it won't take out the whole circuit.

Comment

A general rule of thumb is you can use 20amp receptacles on a 15amp circut but you shouldn't use 15amp recepts on a 20amp circut as per code table 210.21{b}{3). It is illegal to do otherwise. I expect the person who installed thought he(or she) would cut a few corners to cut costs. I've seen it many times before.

Comment

Hey, Pal. I'm not an electrician. [:I] Sometimes I get muddled, could you clarify that for me? Here's what I got when I looked up 210.21(B)(3):
        Table 210.21(B)(3)Receptacle Ratings for Various Size Circuits

Circuit Rating________Receptacle Rating (Amperes)
        15---------------------Not over 15
        20---------------------15 or 20
        30------------------------30
        40----------------------40 or 50
        50------------------------50

Thanks for any help...

Comment

Whoops, my bad. I had the table right and read it the way I wanted. It is illegal according to our local city inspector (I guess that goes back to that silly little code rule about the "Authority having jurisdiction".) Our city fire zones do not allow for the smaller amp recept. on the larger size circut. Funny how the minds eye will work. I guess I'd better not venture to far from my humble little city..it's a big code world out there. Sorry for the conundrum Captain. I'll be reading a little slower these days. I low my head to the master handyman. :0)

Comment

You are a pal, Joey! I have to show this to my wife. I wuz right once! And it's only February! 2004!!!

Comment

Glad to help Captain, I'll vouch for you anytime ;0)

Comment

Look at 210.22 (a)

Zips_LightnBolt

Comment

I hate to ruin your day, but 99% of residential constuction uses 15 amp plugs on 20 amp circuits. It's just the way things are.
                  It's somewhat risky to do the opposite IE: put 20 amp plugs on a 15 amp breaker. But it's common practice to have 15 amp plugs on a 20 amp circuit.
                  The reason is that the amperage of the circuit ( 15, 20, etc.) is based on wire size and distance from the panel to the device and the power requirements of the device. It's not to protect the plug.
                  Unless the plug is dedicated to a specific device ie: window air conditioner, refrigerator, if it's just a wall plug in a house it can and usually is a 15 amp plug (regular or GFI doesn't matter).

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
                  <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

arent most of 15a outlets rated at 20a though. Ive noticed that they say 15a because that is the style of plug, but the outlet itself is rated for 20a. Just any of the ones ive used have been this way.

Comment

I've seen where county wants all wiring done in minimum of 12/2 but will allow 15amp breaker. County thinks 12/2 wire is less of a fire risk or some odd thing like that is what I was told from someone who builds many houses under that code.

Comment

According to the NEC you CANNOT USE 20 amp receptacles on a 15A circuit. But it is allowed to use 15amp receptacles on a 20a circuit IF there are more than 1 receptacles on the circuit If there is only 1 receptacle on the circuit it must be a 20 amp receptacle. Your local codes/inspector may say otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by Pal Joey

A general rule of thumb is you can use 20amp receptacles on a 15amp circut but you shouldn't use 15amp recepts on a 20amp circut as per code table 210.21{b}{3). It is illegal to do otherwise. I expect the person who installed thought he(or she) would cut a few corners to cut costs. I've seen it many times before.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =