Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI outlet question

I have a bathroom with a GFCI outlet (well, will be, once I can figure out how to hook it up), a fan and a light.

The outlet box has two cables, each with a black, white, and ground. When I got to it, the electrician had wired the two blacks together, and the two whites together. In this configuration, both the fan and light work.

I tried taking those apart, so all wires were apart, and then the fan and light didn't work.

I determined which black wire was hot, and on the GFCI outlet, I hooked the hot black to the "line" with gold screw. The white from the same cable I hooked to the other side with the silver screw. To the load screws I hooked the other wire (again, black to gold and white to silver). I tried it, and the outlet, fan and light didn't work.

I tried tying the blacks and whites back together like they were before and put in pigtails. In this configuration the light and fan went on. So I hooked up the pigtails to the line screws, and then the fan and light still went on but not the outlet.

What gives? What am I doing wrong?

Dawn

did you press the reset button on the gfci?

Comment

Ugh

No, I didn't try that. How dumb of me. I will have to try it on Saturday when I'm at the property next. If that is the solution I will feel really silly.

Dawn

Comment

Gah

That was it. Now I feel dumb.

Dawn

Comment

Working...
        X
        =