Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basement flooring problem

about 2 months ago i installed 1/2" interlocking recycled rubber tiles on top of porcelain tiles in my basement for a future home gym. Now I'm noticing small water puddles underneath the rubber tiles. I'm guessing this is due to the humidity in the basement. Is there anything I can do about this? I dont want to be exercising in an area where mold may be growing.

Add a dehumidifier to the area, I think what your seeing is "sweat" (humidity) between two vapor barriers.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Add a dehumidifier to the area, I think what your seeing is "sweat" (humidity) between two vapor barriers.

would the dehumidifier have to operate 24/7 in order to prevent the "sweat" from returning?

Comment

It will run until it reaches whatever level (of humidity) you set it at.

Comment

It will run until it reaches whatever level (of humidity) you set it at.
          I own the type of dehumidifier that just continues to operate until the tank is full. I can however set a timer on it so that for instance, it runs for 10 hours and then shuts off for two hours etc....

Comment

That would work, once you have the moisture levels down you might have to adjust the timer so it doesn't run unnecessary.
            Do you notice high humidity in the basement ?

Comment

Hey dehumidifier really works great subject to it should be fixed properly. I had same problem of sweating but it helped me lot.

Comment

I would get a dehumidifier with a low heat output unless you really want to sweat more!
                A fool-proof furnace repair manual...

Comment

On basements, usually you need a rigid high-impact polypropylene interlocking floor tile with grooves underneath for air and water passage. With these types of tiles, the dehumidifier will work well. The rubber or flexible PVC interlocking tiles you do not have air flow underneath them. If you have to have rubber tiles, i would recommend using the rigid version as a sub-floor and using the rubber on top of them. This will solve the problem. Of course, you would still need to use the dehumidifier. Good luck!

Comment

Water vapor could be coming up threw the concrete slab and not allowed to escape threw the floor mats. If this is the case you would have to tear up the mats and place a moisture vapor paint on the floors.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =