Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeaky/creaky stairs

The stairs in my house creak/squeak when I walk on them. I think they were under a lot of pressure from the previous owner (weight-wise) and I don't know if that contributed. Anyhow, from the underneath some of them do appear like they may be sagging a little in the middle. Is there anything I can do from the underneath side to help alleviate the noise? I prefer to not have to remove carpet to work on the problem if possible. Thanks in advance!

Nicole,
    The one thing that I recommend is that you put in a brace up under the creaking step. When you look at the steps from underneath, you will notice that the steps have boards that run down each side of the steps. If you can find the step that is creaking, you can install a 2x4 or 2x6 brace on edge from one side of the step to the other side. This will be done from under the stairs. Push the brace all the way up to the step and then you will have to toenail the brace up. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try!

Comment

I have hard wood floors. You couoldn't sneak around before I found this product. It is called squaek-no-more....It conists of special screws that you drill though the floor or through the carpet using a special kind of arbor and square drill bit.(drill small pilot holes too!) when the screw is at the designated depth, you use the tool to break off the special screw head, which is scored below floor level and this holds the floor boards and underboarding in place...you then use putty to fill and then get on with your life...it works...
        quote:Originally posted by Nicole

The stairs in my house creak/squeak when I walk on them. I think they were under a lot of pressure from the previous owner (weight-wise) and I don't know if that contributed. Anyhow, from the underneath some of them do appear like they may be sagging a little in the middle. Is there anything I can do from the underneath side to help alleviate the noise? I prefer to not have to remove carpet to work on the problem if possible. Thanks in advance!
        It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
        It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

I SAW THIS PRODUCT YESTERDAY AT HOME DEPOT!
          quote:Originally posted by vdotmatrix

I have hard wood floors. You couoldn't sneak around before I found this product. It is called squaek-no-more....It conists of special screws that you drill though the floor or through the carpet using a special kind of arbor and square drill bit.(drill small pilot holes too!) when the screw is at the designated depth, you use the tool to break off the special screw head, which is scored below floor level and this holds the floor boards and underboarding in place...you then use putty to fill and then get on with your life...it works...
          quote:Originally posted by Nicole

It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =