Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing quarter round without mitre saw

Hi all,
    This is pretty cool forum! I have tile floor in my kitchen. I would like to install quarter round around my kitchen cabinet but I don't have a mitre saw, is it possible to install quarter round without one? The tile floor was installed at the time we bought the house and I think quarter round was taken out but not put in.

Please help! Thank you.

stsong

Heck yeah! Place a piece of that quater round on the flat backside of the piece that goes in the corner and pencil a nice line around it. Get a coping saw (a few bucks) and follow that line. So you can place molding on two opposite walls and have both ends flat and square. The ends of the moldings on the other two walls would have the little divots cut out (the coped cuts). When set against the other molding it will be a near perfect fit. Far better than miter cuts, coped cuts show no mismatch! That's for 'inside' corners...
    For outside corners, cut one of the moldings flush to the back of the other. Then, the 'other' molding would be cut to extend to the 'far' edge of the the first...Now you just follow the contour of the 'first' molding onto the 'other' by snading or using your handy coping saw! You're just rounding the end off to match...real easy and will look great!

Comment

Hi mrcaptainbob,

Thanks for the advice, I tried on other forum but was told to rent a mitre saw. I would have to learn how to use it too but I like your idea, will give it a shot. I apreciate your input.

Thanks!

stsong

Comment

If you are doing 5" crown molding or something I might tell you different, but quarter round? Just do as mrcaptainbob says, save some money, and post a picture when you are finished! It's easy.

Welcome to the forum!

Try

Comment

Coping as was specified by CaptainBob is a great technique, especially on inside corners, but do not overlook the fact that a plastic miter box and backsaw is a very inexpensive tool combination and will prove handy for other projects in future.
          I found a combination backsaw and miterbox at Lowes for less than $10

Comment

Ill go with all said here. For just $10 bucks get a miter box it helps. Now we try and set all base that way as a lot of rooms just aren't square. So like said take and cut the 1/4 round at a 45o angle. Now take the coping saw and cut the back out with the front cut as you guide. This way the 1/4 round will fit just right to the other no matter how bad the room is out of square and still look good.

ED

My mistakes dont define me they inform me.
            My mistakes dont define me they inform me.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =