Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor leveling...

In that same basement laundry area is a patch of rough concrete that needs some sort of finish coat on top. I've got a large bag of USGypsum UltraCal or Hydrocal plaster that I bought a long time ago when I was making prosthetics for a local theatre group. Can I use that instead of the floor leveler they sell at the local DIY store?

- Wm

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

I am not certain that the plaster would hold up well if the floor got wet, which would definitly be a possibility in the laundry.

i would prefer to use a leveller material such as Levelastic and use the the optional latex liquid hardening agent instead of water to mix it.

Comment

Levelastic is best for floors - the latex hardner packed with it works great. There is a bonding agent you can buy that'll enhanced the new finish to old concrete base. It's kind of a purple color last I seen it - Name -- No Idea.

Comment

If I understand you properly, you have a spalling problem, i.e. the surface of the concrete has started to break up and or flake away to leave some exposed rock material. I had a bunch of this on my patio. You have to use a material that will glue to the concrete and that can be sanded down to a paper thin layer, or "feather" out along the edges. And, it has to be strong enough to support the weight of small wheeled carts or equipment like washers and dryers.

This is hard to do for the powder and water patch materials on the market because they shrink as they cure and that causes it to chip away later. The stuff I used was EZ-Poly Concrete Crack Filler made by RayCrete. You can pour it on the spalled area and trowel it level, then in about 90 minute you can disc sand it smooth. I painted my patio and it came out fine, it has never chipped or flaked out.

Good luck

Matt

Comment

Working...
        X
        =