Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closet ring and tile

I'm in the midst of a complete bathroom remodel, and I'm almost ready to install the tiling. I had to put down some floor leveler down to even out the flooring as well.

My question is should I put in the closet ring for the toilet now, or lay it over the tiling? The floor leveler is in the area where the closet ring will be installed.

I'm sure this is a very simple thing to answer, but I just haven't found the answer yet, that's all.

Thanks in advance!!

the closet ring flange usually goes against the floor so - putting against the tile would be the same thing

Comment

The code requirement for closet rings is that they are to be 1/4 to 3/8 of and inch above the finished floor.

If a closet ring is positioned with the underside of the ring flush with the finish floor the top surface will be properly positioned. The easy solution is to dry fit the closet ring to insure the pipe riser is correct, then set the ring aside, finish the floor and drop the closet ring in last. That way you can get the tile under the finished closet ring with no problem.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

One other question: what kind of closet ring should I use. I'd like to use pvc for connections, but there are different kinds of rings available at the hardware store...Sheet metal, brass, pvc, iron, etc. etc. etc. My gut says that the pvc wouldn't be good since you could easily break it if you don't tighten things up correctly (I'd like to give myself some added insurance in such things.

Also, some of those rings, it seems that the slots are too large for the bolts. When you insert the bolts into the slots, the bolts can still turn...Are there different sizes of T bolts for securing the toilets?

Thanks again!

If it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features!

Comment

Brass corrodes, Iron corrodes, PVC with a metal flange ring most dependable - PVC alone - flexible but hardens after many years.
          Closet bolts are a standard. The "T" sometimes doesn't key into the flange. Thread on the nut, then hold the bolt with pliers and tighten the nut. - then cutoff with a hacksaw to proper length and install the plastic cap. Porcelain caps use silicone or plumbers putty

Comment

Care must be taken when setting a toilet. Do not use the bolts to pull the toilet down on the wax ring, you run a serious risk of breaking the ceramic base of the toilet.

When properly installed the flange should extend 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch above the finished floor. When the toilet is set you must apply firm downward pressure on the bowl to expand the wax ring until the base of the toilet rests firmly on the floor.

The closet bolts are only intended to insure the bowl remains in firm contact with the closet flange.

Comment

I found a pvc closet ring with a sheet metal ring on it...Thanks for the info, guys!! I'm getting a better idea as well as more confidence in how to get things installed properly. You guys rock!!

If it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features!

Comment

Tackleberry
                Examine the flange and you will see the slots where the toilet mount bolts fit and you will also see some counterbored holes where the flange is to be screwed to the subfloor.

Before you lay your tile, dry fit the flange in place and using a heavy magic marker make a mark where those screws will fit. You can then set the flange aside while you install the tile, but be careful not to put tiles where the screws have to go. When working with a heavy mortar set that would cover the magic marker I sometimes just start a sheetrock screw at that location. It will stick up to remind you to leave that area open and can easily be backed out later.

When your finished the flange should rest on some of the tiles to insure it remains even with the floor, but given that this is all a concealed area you dont have to worry about making a perfect hole under the flange.

All in all It looks like you have the project well in hand.

I think the other guys will all agree with me on this point. In technical school we learned the theory, materials and codes, but it doesn't begin to come together till you get a real hands on experience in the field.
                Perhaps the scariest day in a tradesmans life is that day when he/she first has to complete the task without the journerman standing alongside to coach.
                Once you have the fundamentals down, it is then a lifetime process of learning the little tips and trade secrets. With a bit of ingenuity you may find yourself innovating some of the new trade secrets.
                A wise old man once told me no matter how long you work in a trade, you should learn something new everyday you work. If ever there comes a day when you dont learn something, sadly you have progressed as far as you will ever go in that trade.
                heehehe.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =