Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting new hardwood floor?

I have an old house built on peers with an original hardwood floor(no subfloor). I am going to put new tongue and groove floor over the original. Is the best way to do this to nail it to the old floor using a nail gun or just buy an adhesive and do it that way. Also, I would like to level the floor. I bought some floor leveler. Can you nail through the floor leveler? Is there an electric nail gun I can use to do this, and if so what type do I need? Would like to rent the nail gun.

I would begin by putting an underlayment down..Those old floor planks have a dramatic change in dimension from humidity and floor leveler would crack out.

Comment

I agree with Lazypup - use an underlayment with a waterproof construction adhesive and sheetrock screws at least one foot on center. You should be able to rent the angular nailer for the tongue and groove

Comment

bossgobbler,

There is a thread called "some questions about wood floor underlayment" or something like that a little farther down this same page. It was a pretty good thread about putting down wood floors. It would be worth your time to go read through it completely.

PlumBob

Comment

Working...
        X
        =