Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitiful.....

Still in the throes of rebuilding the corner of the house in an effort to update the first floor bath. Pulled away the carpet at the bath entry and found drywall spackle filled into the rotted away part of the floor to provide a flat for the carpet. Every time I look 'under' something in this place, I discover more and more how much 'coverup' was done to hide defects. It's been about 19 months in this place and I'm sure there's no way of going back on the previous owner. But I'm starting to get disheartend about the lie of not knowing what issues were here. Sure explains why the whole place was newly carpeted throughout. Pitiful.

I feel your woes. Our house was built i 1961, and we went to remodel the kitchen, had to rewire a lot of stuff to un-fire hazard it, went to put the counter top on the bacbinet, formica didnt line up right, after wasting 2 peices, we discovered that wall it is on, is out of square...and not last and least, there are 5 layers of linoleum, which the bottom most layer adn the glue both tested positive for asbestos. Which is why there are 5 layers, bc they didnt want to take that out, so they kept covering up, which it needs to be taken out bc with the width of the backerboard, and the width of the tile, the threshold is exactly 1" tall. But the asbestos qustions I have I am posting separatly.

Comment

I don't think I've EVER run across walls that were square to each other. As for this continuing 'saga'....started removing another wall on that first floor bath and found a few of the studs were never attached to the top or bottom sills! THe only thing keeping them there were a few nails through the plaster on one side and..(!)..the fabric coated Masonite on the other!!

Comment

It feels so good to know that I am not alone![] I took down a shelf in the boys closet, and moved it farther down, and I realized why how I was doing it wasnt working, bc the shelf was 8 inches unlevel!!! So I had to warp it back the other way...I have come to the conclusion I would rather build new house then fix an old one...

Comment

Yep. And it would be straight wood with no pets in it!! Ordered the I-beam today for header replacement for the big project. Will 'formally' start our serious work Saturday. The other places I've lived in were previously used also, and they all needed 'updating'. ANd along the way there's going to be some hiccups that require more than what your redecorating project would need above itself. But some of this stuff!! Pitiful!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =