Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20x20 Polished Porcelein Tile Install

Hello Everyone, I have 991 sq. ft. in my basement and I will need help with some tips for the install. I have 20x20 Polished Porcelein Tile and will need to install them onto my basement floor. Any help,tip and support on this large task. Thank in Advance.

GP

Not much to know - make the floor level - use the same everyday quick set mortar and grout.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by windomino

Hello Everyone, I have 991 sq. ft. in my basement and I will need help with some tips for the install. I have 20x20 Polished Porcelein Tile and will need to install them onto my basement floor. Any help,tip and support on this large task. Thank in Advance.

GP
      Ok, since I am new to this and entered this forum for help I do not think that reply was enough to help anyone out. Thanks for nothing.

GP

Comment

Windomino, if still there,then there are some things to consider. Did you have any moisture related problems with the old floor? Also was there or are there any cracks or saw cuts in the concrete?Also is the floor flat or rough ,meaning high and low.? get back to us and let us know the answers to these questions and we'll take you through it[8D]

Floorman
        floorlayers union local 1310
        Floorman

Comment

Finally a floorman. I did not expect an electrician to know much on flooring. No Offense. Mr. Floorman I appreciate the time hopefully you will be giving me on this topic. First off, answering each question in order. My basement floor is only four years old and have not had any mositure issues. To the eye I am able to see some cracks in the concrete. Those that have seen my basement the cement floor is flat.
          Thanks in Advance.

GP

Comment

since this floor is so big and the expense to do this is so great i would like for you to consider doing a matt test on this floor to check for moisture.What you will need to do this is some 6 mil plastic and duct tape.Cut the plastic into 1' x1' foot square,you will need 4 of them spread them out over the floor in different areas and using the duct tape tape them to the floor sealing all the edges and let them sit for 24 hours then check under them for signs of moisture,you may suprised at what you see!If you choose not to do that then lets go on to the next step.
            See if you can string a line from one end of the floor to the other and attach appr.1" from the floor and then measure along that line to see if there are any variations in that line and that will give you an idea of what the rest of the floor may be like.
            You also want to go over this floor closly and chaeck for things like oil spills,dirt, dust,any spider like cracks or saw cuts,the reason i keep brining up the crack issue is they would need to be isolated so they don't crack the tile over it.
            Some other things to consider;Trowel size,for the bigger tile you want a 1/2 by 1/2 notch trowel to get the coverage you need.Most of the bigger format tile have a concave back to them to add support to the tile so you need to fill that somehow and that will help.Get you a good latex modified thinset to get a good bond with thile and the cement.
            Before you commit get back to us and we'll get a little more indepth and answer any more questions you may have[8D]

Floorman
            Floorman

Comment

My apologies to the gentleman with the flooring question. It's been a rough week and this cast on my right ankle isn't the best way to spend each day and night.
              I have done some tile work myself putting in a shower pan in a custom shower. 6X6X3/8 red clay tiles.
              I had to use the dry mortar for a bed and finally quickset for the tiles. Grey grout completed the job.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by HayZee518

My apologies to the gentleman with the flooring question. It's been a rough week and this cast on my right ankle isn't the best way to spend each day and night.
                I have done some tile work myself putting in a shower pan in a custom shower. 6X6X3/8 red clay tiles.
                I had to use the dry mortar for a bed and finally quickset for the tiles. Grey grout completed the job.
                Hello Again Everyone.... Apology Accepted Mr. HayZee18. I would like to take the time and also apologize for my smart remarks. Thanks so far I will be back with any other questions.

GP

Comment

Curious to know how the job is going? was there moisture?

"I can do anything I put my mind to!" Robin Mathews
                  \"I can do anything I put my mind to!\" Robin Mathews

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =