Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile over One Piece Linoleum

hi everybody. we'd like to put tile over our current bathroom floor, which is a flat, one piece linoleum/vinyl job. because of that, there are no ridges, joints, or bumps in the current floor. there is no water damage.

my main question: can i put tile directly on top of the existing floor? i was going to use the small hexagon tiles that are held together by rubber "net" in 1 sq foot sections since the bathroom is pretty small. i'd have no problem pulling the existing floor up; but since it's one piece and in decent shape, i wasn't sure if it is necessary?

thanks for any help!

You do not want to lay tile directly on top the vinyl and in some cases you would want to remove it altogether,as is always best.
    At the very least you would want to put 1/4 durock or other c.b.u over the vinyl and also to give the tile a nuetral plane to sit on.
    If the vinyl is kinda thick and "squishy" then you would want to remove it.
    Get back to us and let us know what you think[8D]

Floorman
    floorlayers union local 1310
    Floorman

Comment

well, that's what i figured. i tried to lobby for the easy way out, but you kept me honest floorman...! i'll pull it up & check the condition of the subfloor, and go from there. thanks.

Comment

You're quite welcome,before you start tiling get back to us so we can discuss what type of subfloor and the requiremnts needed for tile.
        We wouldn't want to be doing this again in the near furure would we?

Floorman
        Floorman

Comment

Working...
        X
        =