Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet

I have plenty of remodel experience in other areas (carpentry, tile, electrical and plumbing) but have never laid carpet. Is this something that I should leave for the experts or is it possible to obtain the results I want myself. I have a limited budget and would like to save money where I can. I would appreciate any tips to be successful. Thank-You

There are special tools required: stretchers, tucking tool, cutters, etc. not to mention the iron for seaming.

It is not exactly rocket science, but you could ruin an entire piece of carpet with one bad cut. Read everything you can find on the net etc. If your first project is a small room not requiring any seams, don't be afraid to tackle this. Most of the tools can be rented.

Comment

Laying carpets is largely a confidence thing – as the earlier post pointed out, one wrong cut is all it takes to ruin the entire piece. The catch 22 is that you can only get that confidence by making mistakes.*

With that thought in mind, why not scan the small ads in your local newspaper for a comparable sized cheap cut of carpet that you can practice on first to familiarise yourself with the tools you’ll be using – that way you’ll only be slightly poorer but a lot wiser.

Hope this helps...

Terry Cousins

* Whenever doubt creeps in - and it will - remember this: The man who says he has never made a mistake has never made nothing!

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!

Now you can work with the confidence of an expert – without having to put in the years of practice!
      www.easycarpentry.com

Comment

Quote from Terry Cousins: " The catch 22 is that you can only get that confidence by making mistakes."

At first I had to chuckle when i read that statement, but as i contemplated it a moment I can only add, a truer statement was never made.

In many aspects of home repair I beleive that if given enough time to research their project a skilled DIY'er is capable of creating the same level of professionanism as the skilled tradesman. and sad to say, in some areas the advantage lies with the homeowner because they do have the luxury of taking the time and being extremely attentive to detail. The homeowners disadvantage is that when things don't go quite by the book they are lost for an immediate solution.

The tradesman has the advantage that in most cases they do have all the necessary tools, and a good working knowledge of the technical aspects of the job, but when it comes right down to the bottom line, In most cases the true Mark Of Professionalism is seen in the tradesmans ability to make a mistake and quickly identify it and take the proper corrective actions to overcome it without too much difficulty.

Comment

Although Lazypup’s last statement concerning mistakes is spot on, there is another important qualifier that comes into play after the job has been completed… nobody should be aware that any mistake had been made in the first place!

Terry

www.easycarpentry.com

Comment

Mistakes?

Y'all make mistakes?

Comment

Working...
            X
            =