Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a 'dam' to hold concrete

Ok, I'm now ready to level the floor in my bathroom so that I can put hardwood flooring over it. I plan to put 1/2 inch thick x 1 inch high wood strips around the perimeter of the room and then pour in self-leveling quikrete mix about 1/8 of an inch thick, just enough to make the floor nice and smooth (it's pretty chewed up now). Does this sound like the right way to do it?

Secondly, I need to make another 'dam' in a circular shape around the toilet flange that comes out of the floor. How should I do this? Obviously I can't have any concrete settling right against or into the flange, and the floor surrounding the flange isn't very flat.

Thanks to all. I'll be sure to post pictures of the bathroom when I'm done.

This may or may not work depending on the subfloor that you have.Please post back and let us know what you ARE going over and we will give you an answer that could use,Maybe[8D]

Floorman
    floorlayers union local 1310
    Floorman

Comment

I'm actually pouring the self leveling concrete mix over an existing concrete floor. There was marble tile and adhesive so I removed all of that but the concrete is pretty cracked up and bumpy. I figured I should smooth it out before adding the wood floor on top of it.

Comment

You would be wise to do so.You can use strips of carboard to use around the perimeter of the room and the toilet flange as well.
        You can use a 2x4 at the doorway to stop it from leaving the room[8D]

Floorman
        Floorman

Comment

Just wondering here...what cuased the original concrete to crack up and get bumpy? Hate to see your work get affected by the same problem that screwed up the first layer of 'crete...

Comment

Hi Bob. I think the cracked and bumpy areas were caused by whoever remodeled this bathroom last, in the 70's. The damage is mainly to the concrete around the area where the toilet sits. Weird.

Comment

Good point Capt.Missed that.
              If these are not structural in nature then you are going to be o.k.
              Make sure that you get the primer with the self leveler and get it into all the little voids and cracks so it will stick good[8D]

Floorman
              Floorman

Comment

My concern is that the term "self leveling" is a very arbitrary concept.

While the finished surface may be "Level" by concrete standards, it may not be sufficiently level to insure a good base under tile, especially if this is the larger 12 x 12 tiles.

Comment

As long as the minimum requirements for tile are met then there should be no problem with the performance of the self leveler.
                  Figure out what type of product you will use and let us know before you proceed and we can give you a better answer[8D]

Floorman
                  Floorman

Comment

Use electrical grade "duct seal" Stuff never hardens and you can use it as a clay. Being oil based it won't stick to concrete.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =