Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing Broken Stair Tread

I am looking for any help or guidance that can be provided on removing a cracked/split stair tread in my 1920s colonial. It appears that several steps have split along the glue joint line and I would like to repair or replace these. I am hoping to remove the treads without destroying them in the hope of re-ripping, re-jointing and re-glueing them and saving as much of the original wood as possible.

The step is recessed in a mortise cut into the wall-side stringer. A dado on the underside of the front of the tread fits over the riser but I do not see anything holding the back of the riser down other than nails into the stringers. I removed the balusters and used a reciprocating saw to cut through the nails that go through the top of the tread but I can't seem to get the tread to move very much (I can lift the baluster side of the tread 1.5" or so, but that is it. I do not have access to the underneath of the stairs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

R

My old house in Buffalo has this type of construction. Can you access the back of the steps? If so you'll find hardwood wedges in the mortises against the stair tread and risers. removing these wedges will loosen up the whole thing and you may be able to remove the whole tread after it's loosened.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =