Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic tiles install question

2 things, first off what a great site. Joined a bit ago and have been reading and reading.

secondly, I am laying out my tiles in the kitchen that I want to put down. My house is a concrete slab and linolium layed over that in the kitchen. My question is, the linolium has no issues other than its ugly to look at. Can I lay the tile right over that and scement them down on top of the linolium?

Thanks in advance

Well??

I have done some research on this also and Menards had a Professional give demos on the how to's ... He was very clear that one should have a good soild surface to lying down the tile, solid and secure. I would tear up the old floor and then get that smooth and then put down the tile. the give of the linolium may cause cracks later on.. just my thoughts

Comment

You can definitely not apply thin set mortar directly to the linoleum. I would strongly suggest taking up the linoleum and bonding directly to the concrete. You will not have to remove 100% of the glue that held down the linoleum. I recommend using TEC brand mortar. They have a good website and you can call them with questions. I recently did a tile job on a basement slab that had carpet glued down. I scraped the worst of the glue off with a long handled scraper and also used an extra wide razor blade that I found at a local hardware store.

Comment

OKay great guys thanks...now I just need to convince my wife that the linolium needs to be pulled up

Comment

by all means tear up all the lino and whatever glue you can. then use a concrete bonding agent so that the quickset can get a tooth on the concrete. the bonding agent looks like watery latex glue - white or slightly purple in color. brush or roll it on let dry, then do your quickset and tile thingie.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =