Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asbestos floor tile

hello this is my second post first one on walls in my kitchen now the floors . I have asbestos tile in my 1960s-19703 kitchen ,I just bought the house a month ago , I would like to tile it , What i would like to know is if i put tile on top of this floor what underlayment should i use,and does anyone see a problem with screwing or nailing through this floor since it is asbestos .

what you want to do is try and keep the asbestos fibers down to a bare minimum - they call it "friability." maybe using a tack adhesive like Permatex High Tack sprayed on the floor and then using 1/4 inch plywood for a sub floor with screws/

Comment

thanks hayzee

thanks for the tip

Comment

I went to pull up linoleum (6 layers) from kitchen to tile it to find that the bottom layer was that thin asbestos tile. I wasnt sure wether it was, so it pulled some off to have it tested. Sure enough it was, along with the glue to put it down. The glue was black. And REALLY sticky. When I searched local yellow pages under asbestos, I called a place and he explained to me that most "harmful" asbestos was the blanketing that was around wood stoves and insulation and such. As far as the tile, he said you would really have to pulverize it for it to be harmful. I left that botton layer mainly bc I didnt want to deal with such sticky stuff under it, it was sticky like those fly traps are sticky. I just put my backerboard on top of it, screwed it down and went on about my business. If thats the only flooring there, I would just leave it. I had to remove all that linoleum bc there was 6 layers of that crap. If I had put my backerboard on top of all that, PLUS the tile, I would have had a 2 inch step in the doorway....

Comment

How old do you think the asbestos layer is??? I MIGHT be in same boat and am gathering info as fast as I can

Comment

Working...
          X
          =