Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold & Mildew

Hi,
    I must have the dumbest mudroom floor ever imagined...it is fully carpeted and now, saturated through and through with water from snow running off our shoes and clothes. It stinks soooo badly and I am planning on ripping the carpeting up if spring ever gets here and replacing it with either vinyl tiles or linoleum.

My question is this: upon peeking under the carpeting I found mold and mildew living happily on the concrete. I know that I have to get rid of them before I put anything else down, but I don't know how! I never want to go through this again. Can anyone suggest a fairly easy way to get rid of it permanently so I can have a real floor in there for easier clean-up in winter?

Thank you,
    Jessica

ok, once everything dries out - rip up that carpeting - while it provides a great atmosphere for the mold, it isn't doing you any good. green mold is one thing but black mold is hazardous to you. mold comes from airborn spores, the same stuff that makes mushrooms. once the carpeting is up, clean the concrete. the use of clorox and the idea of bleaching the mold won't work. you need a disinfectant to kill the spores. [live bacteria] once you've killed the sproes, then sweep the floor. next give the concrete an acid bath. use a diluted mixture of muriatic acid and water. flush well with water and dry out. once it's dry consider sealing it with a concrete sealer and then coating it with a good silicone finish coat. a high gloss clear or tinted silicone finish would be nice, then you could actually wax and polish the concrete. water spot cleanup would be very easy.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =