Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base trim and interior doors.

I am remodeling my home and need to install base trim and interior doors. I am also having carpet installed soon due to the arrival of a baby. Is it easier to install the doors and base before or after the carpet? From what I understand if the base is not down, the carpet guys will put the tack strip right up next to the wall and that will leave the base to be installed on top of the tack strip which will make the carpet difficult to remove. Also, if interior doors go up before carpet is laid, do they need to be raised up a half inch? Thanks.
    Last edited by MEDIC; 09-18-2007, 10:48 PM.

Put all your casings up before the carpet goes down. put your baseboards in too. if you're gonna install a shoe moulding wait till the carpet is in. if no shoe then the carpet guys will butt up against the wall. if you got a threshold strip, put it in. carpet guys will butt up against this. if all the carpeting is wall to wall, leave threshold strip out. the doors will have to be cut after the carpet is in.

Comment

if you're putting on all the casings, and baseboards on first, you may as well just put the doors on, if not you can't get the right reveal with the casings. Interior prehung doors have Jambs on them not casings,,,there hayzee...you might of confused the boy!!
      Last edited by WVslottech; 09-19-2007, 07:21 AM.
      master carpenter

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys! I painted and installed all of my trimwork before the carpet was laid. I can see now that it would have been a harder install if I had waited untill after the carpet was laid.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =