Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor joist problem

I posted this on another site but posted here too to get more opinions, or an opinion.

Newbie here and I'm learning as I go. I'm in the ongoing process of remodeling and fixing up our 100+ Centenial Farm house. I removed the plaster and lath from the two rooms I want to re-do and found some sorry building techniques. Working on the first story now and need to fix the saggy, bouncy 2nd story floors. Floor joists are 2x6, some true, some not and run a 17' span, 16"oc! Here's another problem, they are spliced and sistered. Each 2x6 is 12ft in lenght, spliced/sistered into another 12ft 2x6. What is the best way to correct this? I was looking into 9 1/2" I Joists but not really sure how I would incorporate these into the existing framing. Looks like the min. on a 17' span is 2x12's 12" o.c.? Could I sister 2x8, 10, or 12's onto the old joists and still have a safe, sturdy, straight floor? I want to do it right now and not have to worry about it. No load bearing walls above this floor and I cannot rip up the subfloor.

see if you can use engineered beams (joists.) glue and bolt them into the existing joists.

Comment

I'd like to use 9 1/2" LVL's but cannot find span ratings for them.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =