Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile adhesive = Thinset?

What is the difference between tile adhesive and thinset? Do I need to make sure to purchase special for the bathroom? I'm planning to tile the floor, countertop and tub area.

Usually for a floor you would want to use thinset, it is more of a mortar based cement and has very little flex. For walls you really want to use a latex adhesive, it has much more give when it's dry especially in shower areas where it can easily be bumped and the walls have much more movement with expansion and contraction. I'd also use the latex adhesive for the counter tops, again for movement.
    When you get the thinset make sure you get a reasonable grade look to spend about $20 a bag (20lb).
    The tile adhesive will be in a tub and cost around $40.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thinset is one type of tile adhesive. It's an adhesive morter that comes in a bag and you mix it yourself. You can also buy a premixed tile adhesive that comes in a plastic bucket. It's my opinion that the thinset is a stronger more durable product. But I use the premixed most often because I don't have to mix it and I think it trowels on easier. I would use the premixed for the walls, counters and floors. You mention a "tub area". Is this a shower pan? If so you might want to use the thinset there since it spends so much time under water. If the "tub area" is just the floor in front of the tub, I'd use premixed there too. It's also very important to have a good surface to lay the tile on. Usually a cement backer board.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =