Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooring transition

I had 3/4" thick oak flooring installed over my existing floors. At the door to the basement a transition piece was provided to cover the height difference (see attached photo). Because of the short width of the transition piece, it creates a tripping hazard as anyone stepping on the transition piece becomes unbalanced - especially since it is at the top of the stairs. Is there an oak saddle available that can make up the height difference but over a longer distance so that the slope is more gradual?

What you have installed is pretty much it for off the shelf purchases.
    Many times when I'm confronted with this same problem I have one made at my local lumber supplier. Most good lumber suppliers have a wood shop that make cabinets, doors, custom furniture... etc... take your dimensions to one of these and they will be able to make one for you that is wider to help soften the angle. For and example the last one I had made was 12' long and 10" wide it stepped down 2" in total, the cost was $80.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

transition

I think you should have one made to fit the exact space, as it will give you a better fit and look nicer. You may need tapering that you just can't get from the standard thresholds.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =