Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best season to install hardwood floor?

What is the best season to install a new hardwood floor? If I install it in the summer, it will shrink next winter . If I install it in the winter it will expand and get tighter in the summer. Or should I install it in the in-between season, spring or fall?

If you ask a purest about the correct time to lay solid hardwood or any solid flooring, then the middle of a hot summer while it's raining outside, the planks would be at their largest size, however in the real world this is almost unachievable.
    If your like most of us your house is heated and cooled in th respective months and this takes out a lot of the problems associated with "what season to lay the floors". Realistically the inside temperature of most homes changes little from winter to summer (66 in summer and 72 in winter for example) what causes almost all the problems with solid flooring is LACK of inside moisture during the winter months, many furnaced homes are fitted with humidifiers to add moisture.
    Your off on the right track by bringing in the hardwood to inside the home, this allows the wood to acclimate to "your home" conditions.
    Any shrinkage of tongue and groove wood during winter months is MUCH more preferable to expansion during summer as the expansion causes ripples in the flooring that seldom go away.
    NEVER lay floors in an unconditioned room/house in winter, once the heat gets turned on everything expands and ....well you get the picture.
    In short, Spring, Summer, Fall = Good time to install
    Winter = Okay time to install.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Reply to Pushkins

I live in Florida it is always hot, humid, and raining outside. We actually prefer engineered wood as it warps less in high humidity.

Comment

No Solution

This problem have no solution this flooring will expand in summer and shrink in winter but dont hesitate it does not make any difference.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =