Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buckling hardwood

I put down 3/8" hardwood in my downstairs living room 2 summers ago. Since then I've had a few spots buckle. Now, I put down a 1 foot border and laid a different king of wood in the center. I've only seen the buckling on some of the center pieces. I put down tar paper as a barrier. Do I still have a humidity problem, or is the border just not giving the center pieces any expansion room? I have a 3 foot crawl space under the house. Thanks.

Check the temperature in the crawl space compared to where the flooing is. Only you can see your crawl space but I doubt if its the space. When you took up the flooring was it any moister underneath, or what about previous leaks? Also did you leave room for expansion and contraction of the flooring?

Comment

I didn't notice any moisture at all when I pulled up the old carpet. I've installed TONS of hardwood and I've never had this problem. The only thing I've done differently this time was that I put the 12" border of dark wood with light wood in the center. I left the typical gap at the walls for expansion. I was concerned that the lighter colored wood in the center of the room needed to expand, but obviously there's no gap between the center wood and the border.
      I did take a humidity reading in the room over the last few days and it is around 67-68 percent.

Comment

it could be you left no space for expansion or it could easily be a humidity problem ? where do you live ?.. are u below sea level ?

Comment

Working...
        X
        =