Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direction of Laminate Flooring - Help Me Please!!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direction of Laminate Flooring - Help Me Please!!

I know. I know. Tons of information exists on the topic of direction at boards. However, after days of searching I can't seen to find anyone who have run into this shape of hallway and posted ablout the outcome.

The only space I am installing the laminate in is the hallway. The hallway is both the main entrance to the home and the hall to the bedrooms/baths.

For over 2 months I have been working on the main hallway in our home - trying to make it into my wife's vision. The "popcorn" ceiling is gone. The light fixtures are moved. Everything is finally smooth and primed.

The floor is concrete slab, above grade, and without moisture. My wife wants a laminate floor. The only problem I am having is trying to determine the direction to lay the boards.

The hallway is 42 inches wide and shaped like a "T". The top left of the "T" is the main entrance to the house. The length of the top of the "T" is 18 feet long with 2 openings on the left leading into carpeted/tiled rooms.

The vertical part of the "T" starts in the center of the right side of the hall and goes 28 feet. This part of the hallway leads to the bedrooms/baths (all with carpeting or ceramic tile.

My problem lies in what I have read about the direction of the boards.

There really is not a "main" light source because this is an interior hallway.

If I lay the boards lengthwise away from the front door the longer part of the hall (the vertical part of the "T") will have numerous boards running crosswise to the hall direction.

If I lay the boards with the direction of the longer part of the hall, the top part of the "T" will be made up of many short sections.

I know that direction is mostly a matter of taste, but neither seems to inspire me to believe the final product will look right. I am 99.9% sure I can complete the installation no matter what method is finally used. I just want to pick the right one.

What is best for a T shaped hallway?

(1) Short boards across the top of the "T" with long boards running down the vertical part?

(2) Long boards running across the top of the "T" with numerous short pieces running across the vertical section?

(3) Run long boards in both sections of the hallway and place a transition strip where the top if the "T" touches the vertical part? If so can someone tell me how far above the flooring the transition strips proture? (1/16"? 1/4"?)

(4) The final option would be to go diagonal across the entire "T" so neither part of the hallway has short or long pieces. Which sounds like the only way to keep the complete hall as one smooth continuous piece but I have not seem any photes of a diaginal installation.

Has anyone installled laminate (or even hardwood) flooring in a T shaped interior hall or even seen how one in another home. We have no intentions of selling the house any time in the future but we still want the best appearance for our guests.

Thanks in advance to everyone who offers some advice on this issue. I know it can be hard to visualize but I hope mu crude drawing below help clear up what I am talking about.

|||||||||||||
    .... ||
    .... ||
    .... ||
    .... ||
    .... ||
    .... ||

============
    .... ==
    .... ==
    .... ==
    .... ==
    .... ==
    .... ==
    .... ==

////////////
    .... //
    .... //
    .... //
    .... //
    .... //
    .... //
    .... //
    Last edited by Kilau; 01-02-2010, 01:08 AM. Reason: Straighten out shetches

I would go with your first diagram, because, short sideways boards would make the hallway seem (look) odd, squished, ain't sure what word to insert here. long boards even broken with the ends staggerd makes the hallway look (longer)

Comment

It's a personal choice no matter what way you go, personally I like to install floors on the diagonal, IMO it looks better, but you know what they say about opinions........everyone has one
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

You can put several pcs of laminate flooring boards on the current floor(Don't click and install them) in various directions have a check. Then you choose the best direction to insstall the laminate flooring. I think this is a good idea!

Comment

harmful for health

People did not put laminate I've heard that it is harmful for health!

Taco

Comment

Working...
          X
          =