Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic / wood

We have recently begun to renovate our old house (circa 1790) and in the bathroom, under the recently removed carpet we discovered old wide plank flooring in decent condition. I was wanting to install ceramic tile along the base of the tub, about an area of 20 inches by four feet. I would like for the tile to be level with the rest of the planks. Is this possible? I worrie about the water seeping behind or under the tile, how do i get around this problem? What are mu best options? thanks

Jon,

The short answer is no... The planks are probably not stable enough to put the tile directly on them and further to make the new tile level with the rest of the floor you would have to reduce the thickness of the planks under the new tile area. You should add a 3/8" plywood subfloor over the planks and then lay your tile.

An option would be to create a raised step that is tiled as opposed to just the plywood and tile thickness. This way it is less likely to be tripped over.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I am gonna try to think of another way. My idea is to have an area for wet feet, but not have to worry about rotten wood. I think there is a subfloor of hemlock below the wide plank floor. The wide plank floor is over an inch thick, so maybe some 3/4 plywood on the exsisting hemlock subfloor, then the tile. I think this may wook, but still worry about water.

Comment

Don't forget to allow the mastic thickness, too. Slight, but it can make a diff. I would think that would look great! Certainly the tile and their joints will be water tight after they're sealed. Refinishing that wide plank with a nice urethane clearcoat would serve that for what little water would ever be on it. All that's left is the joint between the wide plank and the tile. Maybe a purposefully wide seam there filled with a real nice rubbery filler. Something that would stick to both sides. I'm thinkin' that bathtub caulk would be a good choice for that. Get it in a color to compliment the tile/planking. Could match a colored grout maybe?

Comment

Good ideas, Im starting tonight after work and hope to wrap up sometime next week. I will be asking questions as I run into more problems. Any ideas for getting the paint off the old floors? Im not a big fan of chemicals but may have no choice. Thanks

Comment

A heat gun and scraper works well on removing paint......softens the paint quite nicely. Careful as to not overheat and toast the wood.....

Comment

Working...
            X
            =