Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwood floors

Does anybody know when laying hardwood floors in a hallway do you change the pattern (or direction) of the planks when making a turn? My hallway is L-shaped. When I get to the end do the boards now run acroos the hall or do I butt them against the last board before the turn like this:

||||||||
    ||||||||
    |||||||| (THIS AREA IS THE WALL)
    ||||||||
    ||||||||
    ||||||||-------------
    ||||||||-------------
    ||||||||-------------

I bought a new home with hardwood floors on the 1st floor. They are all in the same direction (even in hallways). I think this gives it a cleaner look. However, I have not seen it done the other way (changing the direction), so what do I know.

Comment

My house has hardwood in the halls and I love it. My wood does go in two directions. It is layed lenghth wise with the walls so there are long borads. Hopefully my picture helps.

=====!!
      !!
      !!
      !!

Comment

All wood floors should be layed out parallel with the light direction. Lengthwise is the general rule of thumb.

"I can do anything I put my mind to!" Robin Mathews
        \"I can do anything I put my mind to!\" Robin Mathews

Comment

One feature of my house I just adore is the cool patterning of the wood in corners. It's sort of like this:

|-------
          | |------
          | | |-------
          | | | |-------
          Maybe a bit nastier to lay in but really neat to look at and all visitors notice it.

quote:Originally posted by techguy

Does anybody know when laying hardwood floors in a hallway do you change the pattern (or direction) of the planks when making a turn? My hallway is L-shaped. When I get to the end do the boards now run acroos the hall or do I butt them against the last board before the turn like this:

||||||||
          ||||||||
          |||||||| (THIS AREA IS THE WALL)
          ||||||||
          ||||||||
          ||||||||-------------
          ||||||||-------------
          ||||||||-------------

Comment

Working...
          X
          =