Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laminate vs carpet in the basement

We're trying to choose between carpeting and laminate flooring in our basement. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Hi there,

If you can, use one of those humidity meters to determine the amount of moisture in your basement. If it's high-humidity, laminate isn't recommended, but then, if it were really high humidity, I doubt you'd be finishing it anyway. So, laminate is great if you have young kids -- it'll be warm (because you need a polyethylene foam beneath it) and you can wipe up spills. Throw an inexpensive carpet on it and it'll be cosy, but you can replace the carpet as it gets dirty. Carpet on the other hand, can be a bit more expensive, but might be cosier if you don't have kids spilling stuff on it. If there's any humidity, though, go for a 100% synthetic carpet because wool will hold the moisture and feel damp.

Enjoy!

Comment

Hi there
      I would definitely go with laminate. Carpets are dust magnets, non resistant to humidity and generally high maintenance. Laminate is virtually maintenance free , that's why it's so popular. Most anyone can install it , effective in a basement because some of the laminates have seams that are 100% water resistant. Don't forget , if you have laminate down on the floor and you decide to move , take the floor with you. You can lay it up to four times!!
      I will never buy carpet again.
      Happy shopping!
      Kevcules

Comment

If your not confidnet of your basment's ability to keep mooisture away then DON't carpent the floor. I recomend using 12" square vinly tile. Placing ariea rugs on top if you need the sound absorption. When storms hit you can roll up the rug. Do not use the peel and stick tiles. Use mastic for a better bond. NEVER insall vinyle sheet goods on the floor, if any water bubbles up underneatht the floor its instantly ruined. A seamless patch is impossible. Problem spots are easy to repair with vinyle squares by simply replacing the damaged tiles, so buy extra.

Comment

Quick-Step has a moisture barrier built in to the product and has a 25 year residential warranty. It was so easy to install and many colors to choose from. www.fastfloors.com recommended them over all the others. Great price too!

"I can do anything I put my mind to!" Robin Mathews
          \"I can do anything I put my mind to!\" Robin Mathews

Comment

Moisture barrier can't work well if your basement is high moisture. You need to hire professional laminate flooring installer who can set up special grid to resist the dampness in case of high moisture.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =