Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Forced Air Heat

I recently purchased an old house. It has a 2 year old gas forced air furnace in the basement. It sounds a little noisy to me when I am on the main floor. Is this normal? Should I be hearing it at all when I am not in the basement?

what do you mean "noisy?" a fan forced heat has the motor shock mounted to the heat exchanger plenum. if these rubber mounts are dried out you will hear noises when the fan operates.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      what do you mean "noisy?" a fan forced heat has the motor shock mounted to the heat exchanger plenum. if these rubber mounts are dried out you will hear noises when the fan operates.
      I realize hearing the furnace run when you are standing in the same room is normal. My question was, is it normal to hear it running when you are in the kitchen or living room for example? Sounds kind of loud to me.

Comment

Originally posted by swords99 View Post
        I realize hearing the furnace run when you are standing in the same room is normal. My question was, is it normal to hear it running when you are in the kitchen or living room for example? Sounds kind of loud to me.
        I cant hear your furnace so its hard to say if the noise is normal. Is this furnace a 80+ or a 90+. Do you think that the noise it the burners or the blower.?
        Blower noise is transfered inside the duct work. What brand furnace is it .
        If it is noise being transfered through the inside is too load, there is a way to have it fixed. take your return air drop , make it larger so you can put insulation
        on the inside. on the hot air side you do the same thing. the inside of the hot air plenum and then size the main trunk line going both ways for several feet so you can insulate the inside of those. You will have to find a good sheet metal shop or heating dealer to do this job. What you are doing here is making it so the heat exchanger can't see any metal work, and the blower can't see any metal work. It would also be a good idea it have flex connectors in both the return and supply duct to stop and vibrations noise.
        Insulation on the inside of ducts really cuts down the noise. Paul

Comment

Working...
        X
        =