Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace Cold Air Intake In Return

My furnace fresh air intake is ran directly into the furnace's cold air return at ceiling level. I know a lot of the time house inspectors recommend taking it out, putting a drip loop in the insulated pipe (because cold air sinks) and close up the hole where the tube was located in the return. Supposedly, this is to reduce condensation, increase AC efficiency and prevent the cold winter air from falling down into the furnace and spilling out. My furnace is a RUUD about 10-15 years old, not in a confined area; it is in a large room in my basement, and the fresh air tube is probably around 10' long. What is recommended? If it is a good idea to move it, can I make the drip look at ceiling height, the furnace is in the middle of a commonly walked area and I don't want an ugly insulated pipe hanging from the ceiling down to the floor. Finally, if it is moved and the air filter cover is tight, is the fresh air pulled in through the front of the furnace covers vents?

The below picture is what I am talking about doing...

Last edited by DKAudio; 02-15-2011, 08:26 PM.

Originally posted by DKAudio View Post
    My furnace fresh air intake is ran directly into the furnace's cold air return at ceiling level. I know a lot of the time house inspectors recommend taking it out, putting a drip loop in the insulated pipe (because cold air sinks) and close up the hole where the tube was located in the return. Supposedly, this is to reduce condensation, increase AC efficiency and prevent the cold winter air from falling down into the furnace and spilling out. My furnace is a RUUD about 10-15 years old, not in a confined area; it is in a large room in my basement, and the fresh air tube is probably around 10' long. What is recommended? If it is a good idea to move it, can I make the drip look at ceiling height, the furnace is in the middle of a commonly walked area and I don't want an ugly insulated pipe hanging from the ceiling down to the floor. Finally, if it is moved and the air filter cover is tight, is the fresh air pulled in through the front of the furnace covers vents?

The below picture is what I am talking about doing...

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0PDoX3gD1tN4U4ARqmjzbkF/SIG=12r01rhpb/EXP=1297842272/**http%3a//woodburningtrivia.com/Portals/0/images/FreshAirDuct_Example2.gif[/IMG]
    I could not see your pic. I would not pay to much attention to the home inspectors on a subject like this.
    I think you might be confusing the difference between combustion air and fresh air. Combustion air does not go into the return air plenum, It goes into the room that the furnace is in. It is to provide the burners enough air to burn. Fresh air into the return air plenum is for breathing air. The air inside our homes is not healthy to breath because of things like fumes from soaps,
    after shaves, colons, hair spray, and many other things we use in the home.
    So the code says we need to bring some fresh from outside to move all over the house to make our breather air a little better. It also helps replace the air that bath and kit. fans take out. Paul

Comment

Working...
    X
    =