Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leaking around boiler

I have a burham boiler for the house with a hot water coil. The coil is rusting and needs to be replaced. We were told by the tech late last fall that they may be able to grind down the flange and put a new coil on, however, there is the possibility that the damage is too severe and we will need a new boiler. His advice was wait until spring when we don't need the boiler for heat as the damage likely won't change enough to change the outcome and there is the possibility of being without the boiler for a few days. Now to my current problem. A few days ago, I notice the floor immediately around the boiler what wet, no standing water but the concrete was wet. This morning, there was actually some standing water in a low spot around the boiler. I can't find where the boiler, gauges or pipes around the boiler are wet, so I don't know where it is leaking from. The corrosion around the heat exchanger looks unchanged and is not at all wet so I don't think this is the source. We lost power at the house earlier this week for about 10 hours, the house dropped to about 50 overnight. I have heard that a cold boiler can leak because the metal contracts, pulling away from the seals but it gets better when the boiler is hot again. We do turn the heat back to about 65 at night, which seems to be when the boiler has leaked these two times. Is it worth having the heating tech come over to look at this, or should I plan on the worst case when they come to "fix" the other issue and replace the boiler. Any advice.

if your system is a closed circuit type boiler you might be able to use some car radiator repair solution. minute leaks will be sealed with the suspended fibers in the leak repair.

Comment

Is this a gas or oil boiler. If you can take the front cover off so you can see the bottom of the cast sections. Let the boiler go down cold, up the pressure to about 20 lbs and watch
      inside the boiler to see where the water is coming from. Check on the sides of the boiler
      under the pipes coming through the casing. Paul.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =