Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace thermostat. Forgot to label wires Need help BAD!!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace thermostat. Forgot to label wires Need help BAD!!

I had to replace my thermostat because it started wacking out. Kept saying battery low even after I put new batteries in it....but anyway. I forgot to label the wires going to the old thermostat and cannot get my a/c to come on now.
    I have an older Bryant furnace, gas heat. Central air. I have the white red and green wires hooked up to the w, g, and r hook-ups on the new thermostat. That runs the fan and the gas furnace. The problem I am having is that I have a pair of thicker guage wires coming from below my crawl space (most likely hooked directly to the outside a/c unit), one white, one black. It is written on my wall behind the thermostat that the big white one is for the a/c, but i do not know where to hook it up. I have tried EVERYTHING!! I am not completely retarded so I have tried everything I possibly know how to try. I have an EAC1 AND EAC2 hook-up on my circuit board to my furnace. I have tried also hooking up those wires to that although I know they weren't there before. I have replaced every fuse possible (that i know of) and still no luck. I have tried splicing wires together, i have tried putting the white wire into the Y connection like most people have told me to do. Please Help! It's getting hot!

Does no-one have an answer for me??

Comment

Originally posted by evans-nathan View Post
      I had to replace my thermostat because it started wacking out. Kept saying battery low even after I put new batteries in it....but anyway. I forgot to label the wires going to the old thermostat and cannot get my a/c to come on now.
      I have an older Bryant furnace, gas heat. Central air. I have the white red and green wires hooked up to the w, g, and r hook-ups on the new thermostat. That runs the fan and the gas furnace. The problem I am having is that I have a pair of thicker guage wires coming from below my crawl space (most likely hooked directly to the outside a/c unit), one white, one black. It is written on my wall behind the thermostat that the big white one is for the a/c, but i do not know where to hook it up. I have tried EVERYTHING!! I am not completely retarded so I have tried everything I possibly know how to try. I have an EAC1 AND EAC2 hook-up on my circuit board to my furnace. I have tried also hooking up those wires to that although I know they weren't there before. I have replaced every fuse possible (that i know of) and still no luck. I have tried splicing wires together, i have tried putting the white wire into the Y connection like most people have told me to do. Please Help! It's getting hot!
      Well what you are saying does not add up as yet. The red , white, green you have hooked up is right. Now you say you only have two wires left, i am guessing this is at the furnace? The two wires going to the out side unit, one goes to the C post on the board and the other hooks to the wire that is on the Y post at the stat..
      Are you saying that there is only 3 wires coming from the stat?
      There is usually 4 wires from stat to furnace and 2 wires from furnace to out door unit. you can use ether wire you want coming from out side. Paul

Comment

I just joined the forum and it says i cannot add a URL until I have had 15 posts...my apology. You can search for thermostat wiring and surely you will get positive results. Many times the wiring that you find in a home are not the standard for the application. Ergo...due diligence in making sure the wires come from....and go to the locations to make the necessary circuits correctly....schoejr53

Comment

Originally posted by paul52446m View Post
          Well what you are saying does not add up as yet. The red , white, green you have hooked up is right. Now you say you only have two wires left, i am guessing this is at the furnace? The two wires going to the out side unit, one goes to the C post on the board and the other hooks to the wire that is on the Y post at the stat..
          Are you saying that there is only 3 wires coming from the stat?
          There is usually 4 wires from stat to furnace and 2 wires from furnace to out door unit. you can use ether wire you want coming from out side. Paul
          The thicker guage wires (one white one black) were not even hooked to the furnace circuit board, but one or both was hooked to the old thermostat I'm pretty sure

Comment

Big white wire to y
            It is what it is.......

Comment

Originally posted by hvactech126 View Post
              Big white wire to y
              To the Y on the circuit board? Cause i've tried hooking it to the Y on the thermostat and didn't work

Comment

Y is signal for cooling from thermostat.....if the writing on the wall is correct then Big white to Y is what is required....Do you have a jumper between rc and rh? You may or may not have these terminals on thermostat.
                It is what it is.......

Comment

Originally posted by evans-nathan View Post
                  The thicker guage wires (one white one black) were not even hooked to the furnace circuit board, but one or both was hooked to the old thermostat I'm pretty sure
                  Do not hook those larger gage wires to the furnace. These wires were going to the stat before and everything worked , Right? I need you to go out side and take the cover off the air unit. I need to know what those large gage wires are
                  tied to. Do you know what a transformer looks like? Is there a transformer in the outdoor unit. If there is it might have a small fuse in it. They made some outdoor units that had there own 24volt power, and that might be what you have. If this is the case, then you have to have the right stat for separate 24 volt power supply. Tell me all the post that are on your old stat.
                  Now tell me all the post on the new stat.
                  Try this, if you still have the R W G hooked up. Turn the fan switch to on and get the blower going. Now make sure the line volt power is on for the out door unit. now put the two large gage wires together and see if the outdoor unit runs? Paul

Comment

Originally posted by hvactech126 View Post
                    Y is signal for cooling from thermostat.....if the writing on the wall is correct then Big white to Y is what is required....Do you have a jumper between rc and rh? You may or may not have these terminals on thermostat.
                    Do not jump RC & RH until we find out if there there is a transformer out side.
                    If there is only 3 wires going from stat to furnace and the two other wires went to the stat to the out door unit, then there would not be any common coming from the furnace to the out door unit. Relay can not make without a common from the furnace. Paul

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up having to call a professional. The definite purpose controller was the problem and had to be replaced. Thank you very much for your time

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =