Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Re: Programmable Thermostat (hold function)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Re: Programmable Thermostat (hold function)

Hello all. I recently moved into a condo that I'm renting, and it has a White Rodgers 1F94-371 programmable thermostat. I found a manual for it online but it didn't really answer my question. I have never used a programmable thermostat before.

I live in North Carolina where it has been really hot for the past week or so, and I turned the AC on last week for the first time. I set the temp at 78, which is fine for me. I didn't notice until today that the thermostat constantly reads "HOLD" while it is on. I've always used thermostats that just show "AUTO". So, I pushed the "system/mode" button. At that point, the display changes from showing HOLD constantly to alternating between HOLD and AUTO. Pushing "system/mode" again goes to heat, and then one last push turns the system off.

So here's my question, if I leave the system in HOLD mode the whole time my AC is running, am I using a lot more electricity that when the display is alternating between HOLD and AUTO? I've had the AC on constantly without turning it off for the past week. I work from home, and it has been over 90 degrees here. I hadn't turned it off at all until tonight, so it has been in HOLD mode that whole time. Have I made or huge mistake that I'll pay for when I get my bill? I just heard my father's voice come out of me as I declared that I hate this new-fangled crap! I want a regular old thermostat. Cool, heat, off. That's all I need. I hope this has made some kind of sense. Thanks in advance for your help.

Having a t-stat set on a "hold" temperature or having a t-stat set on "auto" will not have any difference in power consumption, as long as the temperature "set" point is the same ,and for the same amount of time.

Example;" hold" is set at 76

"auto" is set at 76 for as long a time as the hold is set.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =