Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside unit does not shut off sometimes

I have a Tempstar Model #NFPC 3000A which is about 13 yrs old. Lately I have notice that the inside air handler cycles off but the outside unit continues to run. I tried turning off at the thermostat and it still continued to run. Finally, I went outside and pull the breaker and that shut it off. I wait awhile and insert the breaker back and it stays off. I hear a click coming from the outside unit when I pull the breaker. I go inside and turn the a/c on at the thermostat and it comes on and works properly for about 12-14 hours. Could it be the contactor and if it is, does the part have to be the same brand and number?

Thanks

could be a time delay between the stat and compressor unit. an outside compressor condenser may have a crankcase heater.

Comment

Originally posted by bena8837 View Post
      I have a Tempstar Model #NFPC 3000A which is about 13 yrs old. Lately I have notice that the inside air handler cycles off but the outside unit continues to run. I tried turning off at the thermostat and it still continued to run. Finally, I went outside and pull the breaker and that shut it off. I wait awhile and insert the breaker back and it stays off. I hear a click coming from the outside unit when I pull the breaker. I go inside and turn the a/c on at the thermostat and it comes on and works properly for about 12-14 hours. Could it be the contactor and if it is, does the part have to be the same brand and number?

Thanks
      The contactor does not have to be the part no, just make sure it has the voltage coil and make sure it is rated for the right amps.
      When the unit out sides stays on , you need to test the 24 volts at the outdoor relay and see if you have power. If you still have 24 volt power then the problem could be in the control board or cooling relay in the air handler.
      If no 24volt at the outdoor relay then the points in the outdoor relay could be getting bad and arking the points together. Paul

Comment

Outside unit does not shut off sometimes

I'm sorry but I have looked at the paperwork I have on the unit and I do not see anything labeled relay. What does it look like and what color are the wires I need to check? If it was the contactor wouldn't it do it all the time?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X
        =