Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Compressor trouble- Sweating profusely

I have an ongoing ac problem, and the biggest problem of all is that i'm dealing with a home warranty company. The outside unit was replaced in April, but on a day that was about 65 degrees in Memphis, TN. The installers told me they had trouble truly testing the system because it was so cool and that if there were any problems just give them a call and they'd come back out and look at it. Sure enough, in a few weeks the weather warmed up and the a/c was working poorly. No matter what the thermostat was set on, on a 90 degree day the temperature would creep to 80 inside and would struggle to get back down lower even at 10 pm. The installer company came back out twice and both times told me everything was operating normally. I continued to argue that this was not normal and even my old inefficient unit handled the heat much better. I finally paid out of pocket to bring out a second opinion. The second company found that the unit was overcharged by more than a pound and the compressor was sweating from top to bottom, not just from the line running to the compressor (pressures were also way off I was told, 320 and 85 i believe). After recovering the freon, my system worked much better except on days where the temperature reached near 100 degrees. The second company suspected a clog or partial clog and told me to call my home warranty company once again. The home warranty company sent out their own second opinion, not trusting mine, and their company claimed the system was almost 2 pounds LOW on freon. I asked the technician if the compressor still seemed like it was covered in condensation because I had not looked for myself that day, and he peered through the spinning fan and assured me everything was fine. I was skeptical to say the least so I turned off the unit as soon as he left and discovered the compressor still sweating all over. The warranty company doesn't want to do anything because (a) they're a warranty company and (b) their second opinion said the system was just low on refrigerant. I tend to lean towards the company I brought out because I have known him for many years and he is an honest man and a great HVAC guy but I have no idea where to proceed from here. HELP!

Originally posted by QUACKTASTIC929 View Post
    I have an ongoing ac problem, and the biggest problem of all is that i'm dealing with a home warranty company. The outside unit was replaced in April, but on a day that was about 65 degrees in Memphis, TN. The installers told me they had trouble truly testing the system because it was so cool and that if there were any problems just give them a call and they'd come back out and look at it. Sure enough, in a few weeks the weather warmed up and the a/c was working poorly. No matter what the thermostat was set on, on a 90 degree day the temperature would creep to 80 inside and would struggle to get back down lower even at 10 pm. The installer company came back out twice and both times told me everything was operating normally. I continued to argue that this was not normal and even my old inefficient unit handled the heat much better. I finally paid out of pocket to bring out a second opinion. The second company found that the unit was overcharged by more than a pound and the compressor was sweating from top to bottom, not just from the line running to the compressor (pressures were also way off I was told, 320 and 85 i believe). After recovering the freon, my system worked much better except on days where the temperature reached near 100 degrees. The second company suspected a clog or partial clog and told me to call my home warranty company once again. The home warranty company sent out their own second opinion, not trusting mine, and their company claimed the system was almost 2 pounds LOW on freon. I asked the technician if the compressor still seemed like it was covered in condensation because I had not looked for myself that day, and he peered through the spinning fan and assured me everything was fine. I was skeptical to say the least so I turned off the unit as soon as he left and discovered the compressor still sweating all over. The warranty company doesn't want to do anything because (a) they're a warranty company and (b) their second opinion said the system was just low on refrigerant. I tend to lean towards the company I brought out because I have known him for many years and he is an honest man and a great HVAC guy but I have no idea where to proceed from here. HELP!
    Has anyone checked the inside coil to see if it clean. If you are not moving enough air across the inside coil then the suction line and compressor can get too cold. Are your filters clean? and sized right?. With the air running for a least 10 min., go to the closest return air and hot registers and check the temperature of the air and see what the temp difference is.. Is your unit a 410 or R22 gas. Do you know what speed your blower is on. What size is your air con and whats the model no. of your furnace. Paul

Comment

Working...
    X
    =