Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil tank possibly leaking

I was in the basement of a house I'm interested in buying here in Western New York, and I noticed that under the oil tank it looks like a very dark substance has taken hold there. My guess is that this substance is oil from a leak in the tank?

In a situation like this, what kind of cost might I be looking at in order to have the tank removed, buy a new tank, and then have the new tank installed?

Also, should I be calling a plumbing company to take care of this task?

Originally posted by HomeHopeful View Post
    I was in the basement of a house I'm interested in buying here in Western New York, and I noticed that under the oil tank it looks like a very dark substance has taken hold there. My guess is that this substance is oil from a leak in the tank?

In a situation like this, what kind of cost might I be looking at in order to have the tank removed, buy a new tank, and then have the new tank installed?

Also, should I be calling a plumbing company to take care of this task?
    I have not done any oil work for many years, so don't know what tanks cost.
    I would think you would call a oil distributing co. or a heating co. I am a heating dealer and back when i did oil work i would pump tanks, move them. and install new tanks I would think by the time you get a new tank that you might spend
    $1000.00 for material and labor, but that is just a guess. Paul

Comment

there's only one supplier in western ny. maunz used to deliver oil and install tanks. I owned a property on marion st in black rock. I had to replace two tanks. they cost $350 each. feeds were underground in copper tubings.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        there's only one supplier in western ny. maunz used to deliver oil and install tanks. I owned a property on marion st in black rock. I had to replace two tanks. they cost $350 each. feeds were underground in copper tubings.
        Thanks, Hayzee. But I'm a bit confused... are you saying that the $350 included installation of the new tank AND removal of the old tank? Or just that the tanks themselves cost you $350 each and they still charged you for installation and removal of the old tanks?

If you were charged for removal and installation, do you remember what they charged you?

Do you remember what year you had this done?
        Last edited by HomeHopeful; 07-26-2011, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Just called Maunz. They said they don't service Niagara. It's "too far".

How wonderful.

Comment

are you mechanically inclined? its no biggie to replace the tank. located inside you use 2 inch black pipe into the bunk hole with appropriate fittings to the outside of the house. Use a 2 inch pipe union and correct lengths of nipples to connect the new tank to the old pipes. the vent and "whistler" goes outside. the float fits the 2 inch "other" bung hole in the tank. four 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch pipe pieces form the legs of the tank. 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch pipe fits to a 3/8 inch flare fitting to the tubing that goes to the furnace pump. if you need to splice tubing, use 3/8 inch flare fittings [flare union]
            Last edited by HayZee518; 07-26-2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I'll be headed out that way in september for a reunion in the falls convention center. sept 16-18th

Comment

are you mechanically inclined? its no biggie to replace the tank. located inside you use 2 inch black pipe into the bunk hole with appropriate fittings to the outside of the house. Use a 2 inch pipe union and correct lengths of nipples to connect the new tank to the old pipes. the vent and "whistler" goes outside. the float fits the 2 inch "other" bung hole in the tank. four 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch pipe pieces form the legs of the tank. 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch pipe fits to a 3/8 inch flare fitting to the tubing that goes to the furnace pump. if you need to splice tubing, use 3/8 inch flare fittings [flare union]
                He has a few other things to think about, like getting the oil out of the tank.
                The last 10 gal. in the bottom of the tank will be nasty stuff no oil co. will want to pump the tank. That oil and the tank is hazer-est waste. Better do some checking before you start this job. Paul

Comment

I'm not great in this area, I am good with directions though. That said, my skill is mostly in cosmetic remodeling. which of course is more about planning, patience, and getting chemical substances on your body that won't come off for weeks, lol.

I did call NOCO and they told me that they do this job for $1400 which includes: a new tank, removal of the old tank, pumping out any oil in the old tank, and installation of the new tank.

But after talking to the realtor for that house today (see my other thread about that in the Exterior repair forum) I may walk away from this one. If there has been a leak I can have one of helluva liability on my hands according to NOCO. They told me it's serious business if oil has gotten into the ground in the basement... serious business to the tune of 10's of thousands of dollars and I have a feeling from my visual inspection that a big leak has happened there before. Despite the realtor's dislike of my style of examination of investment (not that give a hell), I know it's a lot smarter to play close to the vest than to lose your shirt taking foolish chances just because some person trying to make a commission off of you says to do it.

Comment

that black spot could have come from a previous tank. go take another look at the tank. take a putty knife with you and scrape away the gunk from under the tank. see if the tank is listed as a double wall. IF the homeowner complains to an oil company then leaking oil is called hazmat. if it leaches into soil then it calls for a major abatement which can run into thousands of dollars for removal and replacement of the ground soil. but if the homeowner doesn't say anything who is to know?

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =