Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baseboard heat

I need to replace my baseboard heaters and I need to come up with a formula to determine the needed BTUs. The room is 16 X 22 and The ceilings are 30 feet tall. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by helen T View Post
    I need to replace my baseboard heaters and I need to come up with a formula to determine the needed BTUs. The room is 16 X 22 and The ceilings are 30 feet tall. Thanks for any help.
    Are you talking Hot water baseboard or electric? What is the sq' of out side walls, and what insulation is in these walls? Whats the sq' of ceiling and what insulation is in this ceiling? What is the sq' of windows and what what are the windows? What are the doors going to the out side? Is this cement floor, with prem. insulation on the out side. Is there a crawl space under this room? and is this space insulated with foam? Is the floor insulated wood floor? What is your desired temp rise? This means how cold does it get outside and what temp do you want it inside. If its hot water heat, do you know if you can pump 1 gal. a min. at 180 degrees through the rad. Paul

Comment

baseboard heaters

OK, here goes. The room has 4 windows and a glass 8 x 8 sliding door. The one window is 4 x 3 and the other 3 are 5 x 5. The house was recently wrapped in Tyeck 11 and sided. The newer windows are double pane. It is a carpeted area on wood above a small basement with insulated ceilings. The door is also doublepane. The ceilings are 28 feet high with insulation and a 2 layer roof. We live in the Poconos and the temp gets around 25 degrees average for 3 months. I wish to keep a temp inside near 70 degrees. We are buying baseboard heaters with steel cores. Thanks!!!

Comment

There's a formula on the chromalox site in which you plug in values and then come up with the total btu-s required to change 25 degrees to 70 degrees.
        I figured out roughly 15,203 Btu-s necessary. Taking this figure and dividing it by the highest electric baseboard heat available per unit I come up with 6.08, 96 inch, 240 volt, 2500 watt baseboard units. All that's left is to find out the cost per 96" 2500 watt, high density heater.

Comment

Thank you. This is a good place to start

Comment

SINGER is the Cadillac of electric baseboard heat. It has a fully cast and finned heating element unlike others that use a single Calrod element with aluminum or steel fins along its length. These are convection heater units. Other manufacturers are: CHROMALOX, EMERSON, BROAN, NUTONE.

Comment

They are the heaters I have in my great room but they are 42 years old and although they work well the BTUs are insufficient. Thank you for the info!!!

Comment

Working...
              X
              =