Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryant furnace clicks all the time...

We have a bryant forced air nature gas furnace (1987) that will not stop clicking when its trying to start and keeps clicking when its running. When its starts to light, it takes 4 to 5 minutes of it clicking ( the pilot is lit ) to get the flame to light up and it will still keep clicking til the furnace stops. What will cause it to do that
    Last edited by jay4cars; 11-30-2011, 05:17 PM.

does it have a pilot light that is always lit? if not is it spark lit it sounds like it might not be sencing the flame and continuing to try to light more information is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by jay4cars View Post
      We have a bryant forced air nature gas furnace (1987) that will not stop clicking when its trying to start and keeps clicking when its running. When its starts to light, it takes 4 to 5 minutes of it clicking ( the pilot is lit ) to get the flame to light up and it will still keep clicking til the furnace stops. What will cause it to do that
      Is there one wire going to the pilot or is the three wires going to the pilot?
      The three wire is the old warp switch pilot. The one wire is spark ignition.
      If its spark, you will need to clean the flame rod in the pilot assembly and make sure the pilot is clean and the flame is not lifting off the pilot head. Also make sure the flame is going across to and around the flame rod. You can clean the flame rod with emery cloth or fine sand paper. Make sure the wire going to the pilot is in good shape. Paul

Comment

There is only one wire going to the pilot ( a big red one) and there is three little wires going to a box on the bottom of the pilot box unit; The big red wire send a spark to a hood looking plate. The pilot is not on all the time; only when the furnace is trying the start. There is a "hood" looking plate that the pilot flame is under and the pilot flame goes over it and rises about 3 in above it.

Comment

Bryant furnace clicks all the time...

There is only one wire going to the pilot ( a big red one) and there is three little wires going to a box on the bottom of the pilot box unit; The big red wire send a spark to a hood looking plate. The pilot is not on all the time; only when the furnace is trying the start. There is a "hood" looking plate that the pilot flame is under and the pilot flame goes over it and rises about 3 in above it.
          I would have to see some pic. of what you have. Paul
          paulm989@hotmail.com

Comment

I used emory board to clean the pilit area and it has stop clicking when the furnace running and it only takes about two minutes instead five minutes to get the furnace going; but two minutes still seem like that too long to get the furnace to light up....

Comment

I used emory board to clean the pilit area and it has stop clicking when the furnace running and it only takes about two minutes instead five minutes to get the furnace going; but two minutes still seem like that too long to get the furnace to light up....
              The little box with 3 wire beside the pilot must be your pilot proving control.
              Does the flame come around this? When the pilot lite's this has to get hot to prove that the pilot is on to let main gas come on. If you have it good and clean
              and a sharp blue flame, then that's about as good as you can get. If it gets too slow then you would have to get a complete new pilot unit. Paul

Comment

No, the pilot flame does not go around the pilot proving control; theres a plate it goes around that is connected to the pilot box, not to the proving control. The pilot flame is blue, but i would say its not a "sharp" blue flame, but more of a wider, high blue flame...
                Last edited by jay4cars; 12-08-2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

No, the pilot flame does not go around the pilot proving control; theres a plate it goes around that is connected to the pilot box, not to the proving control. The pilot flame is blue, but i would say its not a "sharp" blue flame, but more of a wider, high blue flame...
                  Ok I don't know for sure what you have, and your pic were not clear enough
                  to show me. To clean a pilot you have to take the the pilot unit out of the furnace. Take it apart so you can clean the air ways and take the pilot orifice
                  out and run a broach through it. It is a very small hole so it get carbine d over.
                  Then when you put it back together you will have a good sharp blue flame. This is the only way to clean it. Do not drill the hole bigger or you will be buying a new
                  pilot assembly. A broach looks likes a needle that is about 2" long and one end tappers down to a real fin point. We buy them at a wholesale house.
                  That flame is not suppose to go up around the metal hood. Its doing that because it is a dirty lazy pilot flame. Paul

Comment

Ok, i will take the unit out sunday and clean it and let you know how it goes....Thanks Paul....

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =