Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• furnace blower fan motor

So, the blower motor is not starting by itself. If I give the cage a slight start by hand, then it takes off. I was told by my cousin that there was a burning smell a few days ago. Is this the fault of the motor or of the capacitor? How can I check if it's one or the other? Should I just replace them both? I felt the motor and it is hot.

probably the start winding is toast. replace both the cap and motor.

Comment

cap and motor....

I was afraid of that. Thanks, HayZee for the quick and much needed response.

Merry Christmas to you....
      Bob

Comment

furnace blower fan motor

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
        So, the blower motor is not starting by itself. If I give the cage a slight start by hand, then it takes off. I was told by my cousin that there was a burning smell a few days ago. Is this the fault of the motor or of the capacitor? How can I check if it's one or the other? Should I just replace them both? I felt the motor and it is hot.
        If it run ok when you spin it Then i would just change the start capacitor. That's a lot cheaper than doing the motor when you don't need it. Paul

Comment

Blower motor....

Sure. That sounds like a good idea. I can change the cap and if the motor still won;t start on it's own, then I change the motor. Here's how it happened: I was told that there was a very loud screeching sound from the furnace. "Sounds like a belt" is what I was told, along with a "smells like something burning" statement. Since there is no belt I instantly assumed the motor was cooked. I visited today and found the motor DID work! And started by itself, too! The house rose from 51* to 70 and all was well. I checked again a couple hours after and found the furnace would kick on, but the blower motor would not start. Given a small start spin and it took off. I personally did not hear any screeching and do not find any tightness in the motor bearings. I also did not detect any abnormal smells, such as burnt windings or other electrical 'mishaps'. I'll try the capacitor thing first, and if that won;t do it, then it's on to the motor.
          I do appreciate this help.

Merry Christmas to you too, Paul.

Comment

HayZee strikes again!!

Yep, you were correct, HayZee. It ended up needing a new motor, too. Had to get it from Grainger's. A Capacitor to go with it, too. The old motor was a four speed, the new one is a three speed. Since the furnace uses only one speed, it works out okay. I used the mid point of the new motor. I think it may be a little more volume than the four speed one, but it works.....
            Again, thanks to Hayzee and Paul for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =