Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payne heater

Have a 15 year old Payne forced air heater, model 373 LAU 048115. So far, to keep it running two years ago I replaced the circuit board and last year the inducer motor. Problem today. Fan comes on, then inducer motor, but igniter will not glow. Receive error code 31. Tried the test mode and everything works fine including the igniter.

Have inspected the exhaust vent and there are no obstructions. It seems the vacuum switch is good, but the inducer motor is not pulling any vacuum. The inducer motor and vacuum switch seem to work fine. All the seals look good. Don't know what else to do.

Originally posted by eweneek1 View Post
    Have a 15 year old Payne forced air heater, model 373 LAU 048115. So far, to keep it running two years ago I replaced the circuit board and last year the inducer motor. Problem today. Fan comes on, then inducer motor, but igniter will not glow. Receive error code 31. Tried the test mode and everything works fine including the igniter.

Have inspected the exhaust vent and there are no obstructions. It seems the vacuum switch is good, but the inducer motor is not pulling any vacuum. The inducer motor and vacuum switch seem to work fine. All the seals look good. Don't know what else to do.
    It sounds like the pressure switch is not pulling in. Check all hoses because just
    a small crack can lose pressure or vacuum. Take the hoses off and check the ports that they connect to, make sure they are open. use a small wire and run in the ports. Check the drain lines . A plugged drain can stop the pressure switch. Check for water in the pressure switch hoses. Paul

Comment

Payne Heater Problem

Finally got under the house to do some more checking on the vacuum switch. Bypassed the switch, turned heater on, and the vacuum switch did not open. Removed inducer motor, only one year old, and interior and exterior fans both work. Just don't know if they are turning at full speed. Tried to rent a magnaheily gauge to test, but was unable to find one. Filled 3/16 plastic tubing with colored water and started heater. When inducer came on, the water column only moved 1/2". Checked the complete vent system from the inducer out and no obstructions. Don't know what else to check at this point.

Comment

Finally got under the house to do some more checking on the vacuum switch. Bypassed the switch, turned heater on, and the vacuum switch did not open. Removed inducer motor, only one year old, and interior and exterior fans both work. Just don't know if they are turning at full speed. Tried to rent a magnaheily gauge to test, but was unable to find one. Filled 3/16 plastic tubing with colored water and started heater. When inducer came on, the water column only moved 1/2". Checked the complete vent system from the inducer out and no obstructions. Don't know what else to check at this point.
        Did you check your drain lines. How did you check the pressure switch. You said it did not open. It should be open all the time and close the contacts when the inducer is on. You might have to have a tech. check the heat ex changer If you have a air leak or a crack, that can stop the switch from making. Paul

Comment

Payne Heater Problem

There are no drain lines that are apparent.

The pressure switch is # FS6675-1320. When the inducer motor starts the vacuum should pull the little nub in on the back of the vacuum switch and a little button on the electrical side pops up possibly completing the electrical circuit and telling the igniter to light.

Is the heat exchanger visible?

Comment

There are no drain lines that are apparent.

The pressure switch is # FS6675-1320. When the inducer motor starts the vacuum should pull the little nub in on the back of the vacuum switch and a little button on the electrical side pops up possibly completing the electrical circuit and telling the igniter to light.

Is the heat exchanger visible?
            The heat ex-changer is what the burners fire into and it hard for a untrained person to know how to inspect it. i would let a pro do the inspection. Paul

Comment

If I'm understanding you correctly the INDUCER MOTOR (as you call it) is actually the FORCED DRAFT FAN??? (Do I understand you right???) Or, does the fan act to suck both the flame and air around the flame up the chimney. In other-words, is the fan sit just before the flu exit? (I don't have any experience with these.)
              Mark
              Owner of 1 house (3200 SQ.FT., 4 car garage)
              Owner of 3 rental houses (partner with the bank.)

Comment

Originally posted by DuneMe View Post
                If I'm understanding you correctly the INDUCER MOTOR (as you call it) is actually the FORCED DRAFT FAN??? (Do I understand you right???) Or, does the fan act to suck both the flame and air around the flame up the chimney. In other-words, is the fan sit just before the flu exit? (I don't have any experience with these.)
                If you have no experience and don't under stand what we are talking about, then why are you talking? Do you enjoy confusing people on these post?
                Then you wonder why we delete some of you post!!
                In what way did your post help the man with his problem??
                If you read the post and had any understanding of his post then you would know he has a fan assist draft 80+ furnace.
                Dune Me if you reply to this post, then answer all the questions or i will just delete your post, Do you read Me??? Paul

Comment

Payne Heater Problem

The pressure switch would not hold a vacuum and was bad. Just replaced, holds the vacuum, but still error 31. Bypassed the draft safety switch and still error 31.

Comment

Payne Heater Problem

Today I was checking voltages on all the limit switches and the Ohms for the Igniter. Everything was checking fine until I tested the Draft Limit Switch. The voltage on the side coming from the pressure valve was 25 volts. The side going to the circuit board only had 14 volts. But, as soon as I touched that side with the OHM meter the heater came on and is still running after 1/2 hour.

Does anyone know which part number I would need for a replacement? If and when the heater stops running, will take switch out and see if there is a part number.

Payne forced air heater, model 373 LAU 048115

Comment

If you can spot any information on the switch itself you may be able to get a replacement from a supplier of OMRON switches and relays. The switch may be rivetted on a bracket but 4-40 screws and nuts will fit.

Comment

Payne Heater Problem

The draft witch is only held in with one screw, but the heater is still working, so will try and look with out disturbing anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =